The "13 Reasons Why" Memes Aren't Funny

The "13 Reasons Why" Memes Aren't Funny

Suicide isn't a joke, why are we making it one?

1338
The "13 Reasons Why" Memes Aren't Funny
Cortney Drakeford

The purpose of "13 Reasons Why" is to show us that everything counts. What you say affects everyone differently. Some more than others.

So when I was scrolling through my news feed and saw this:

My heart sunk.

Now I will say not all the memes are as horrible as this. Some are just pretty much everyone's questions that never got answered. But it's the ones like the one I showed above that are the problem.

If you watched the show, you should have learned that it is not a joking matter. It is not a comedy, though there are some lighter moments, the moral of the show is not in any way intended to be a joke.

So why is it, people are still making jokes about it?

And I'm sure I'll get the typical, “it's just a joke, you need to take a chill pill,” but there is a thin line between joking and pushing someone to their breaking point. Hannah's reasons for killing herself are far from a joking matter. The fact that people have made a meme from a show focused on suicide awareness makes my stomach do flips.

Have you not thought of everyone who is affected by suicide? The family? The friends? A few simple words or actions can be just what that person needed to convince themselves it was time to end it all, and you're sitting there making jokes about it.

What's worse is that you don't see any problem with it. And what's worse than that is that you watched the show, and don't see anything wrong with making jokes about it. From someone who has dealt with suicide so closely in her life, these ridiculous memes are the kind of things that make me lost hope about this generation. Are we too focused on getting followers and getting people to see what we post that we lose sight of something so vivid and real in front of us?

For those that haven't watched "13 Reasons Why," it is based off of the book. It was written by the brilliant Jay Asher, about a girl who ended her life due to the actions of those around her, in turn she created tapes, so they know exactly what they did that pushed her towards the edge, from start to finish. If you haven't watched it, I recommend it, as well as the book. It teaches the valuable lesson that anything you do can affect someone's life.

To those that continue to share these memes to be “funny” I hope you've taken into consideration how ridiculous you look. Suicide isn't a joking matter, wether it is directly about the subject or about something that relates to the subject. Think before you act/speak.