13 Places To Visit While Surviving This Northwest Ohio Winter
Winter

The weather may be horrible, but at least there are some neat places to explore — inside and out!

445
snowy Ohio road

Alright, its time to acknowledge the fact that winter has outstayed its welcome. Even those who love the snowy weather are growing tired of the constant cold and wind bearing down on their souls. So here's a list of the best places to visit to cure that cabin fever!

1. The Toledo Zoo

Toledo Zoo Jellyfish

Flickr

I may be biased, but The Toledo Zoo has some of the coolest exhibits ever. Warm up indoors with a peek in the aquarium, sip hot cocoa while looking at the polar bears, and get hands-on at the activity tables and touch stations across grounds!

2.  President Rutherford B. Hayes House and Museum

The Hayes Museum

Flickr

19th president Rutherford B. Hayes was from our very own backyard, Fremont Ohio. The Museum and House are an incredible place to tour and learn about the cutest president, RB Hayes. The 25-acre grounds are gorgeous and free to roam.

3. Maumee Bay State Park

The steps of the Maumee Bay State Park

Flickr

An astounding 1,336-acre escape on the coast of Lake Erie, Maumee Bay State Park has something for everyone this winter. In the proper conditions, visitors can ski on the trails, take winter ice hikes, ice skate with a view, and sled down the areas best hill. With yurts, cabins, and the lodge to stay in, you'll totally forget summer is two seasons away

4. Ohio Skate

Rollerskating

Flickr

With locations in Maumee and Toledo, Ohio Skate is the perfect way to step, better yet rollerskate, out of your comfort zone this winter! A great spot for a first date, a girls night out, or just an escape for cabin fever.

5. The Toledo Museum of Art

The Toledo Museum of Art

Flickr

This palace of paintings has so many things to admire and explore! From an exhibition on sight and sound to relics from ancient Egypt and building full of glass, the TMA has something for every art lover.

6. Indoor water parks

Kalahari's Racing Slides

Flickr

Located in Sandusky, Kalahari is the perfect place to bring a bit of summer fun back into the bitter winter days. There are several other water parks around, including Great Wolf Lodge and Castaway Bay, both located in Sandusky.

7. Bowling Green State University

The BGSU Union

Flickr

Bowling Green State University has many different things to offer during the winter months. From basketball games and ice skating at the Slater Family Ice Arena to live theatre and art shows, you'll find something for everyone.

8. Mad River

Mad River

Flickr

If skiing and snowboarding are your things, then head on down to Mad River in Zanesville Ohio. This winter wonderland is the perfect place to embrace the negative temps if moving at a quick pace down a hill of frozen water is your jam.

9. Nature preserves

Oak Openings

Flickr

Northwest Ohio has some of the most biologically diverse nature preserves in the state, and a hike through the crisp winter air is just what may cure your cabin fever this season. There's Oak Openings in Toledo, Wintergarden/ St. Johns in Bowling Green, and Mary Jane Thurston State Park in McClure. You can visit the Toledo Metroparks website or the Ohio State Parks Website to find a park near you.

10. Wood County Historical Society

The Wood County Historical Society

Flickr

This little piece of Ohio history sits just off of Route 6 in Bowling Green. The Historical Society and surrounding land are a perfect place to take winter pictures and learn more about the crazy Ohio history. Visit what used to be an insane asylum and check out the fingers in a jar while you totally ignore the freezing cold!

11. Hockey Games

Toledo Walleye

Flickr

Hockey is the greatest winter sport of all time, and in NWO there are many opportunities to get your hockey fix. There's the Toledo Walleye, Bowling Green State University hockey team, and lots of local high school hockey teams across the state. Get out there and enjoy some big men chasing a flat ball on ice!

12. Swimming

Guys Posing in a Pool

Flickr

I know, I know, why the heck would anyone want to go swimming in the winter? Well I say, why not? There are several indoor swimming facilities around NWO, like the Toledo YMCA, the BGSU Rec Center, and Plummer Pool in Sylvania. So put on a suit and pretend your winter bod is your summer bod!

13.  Your house

Hot Cocoa

Flickr

OK, let's be honest, We all know that some winter days are just better spent cozied up in a blanket with some hot cocoa. So if these things don't tickle your fancy, try a new Netflix show and tell your pet you love them as you enjoy your winter day in!