13 Lessons "13 Reasons Why" Taught Me, A Millennial

NEVER ignore a cry for help.

438

"13 Reason Why " is a new Netflix series based on the best-selling book "Thirteen Reasons Why" by Jay Asher. The series, as well as the book, show the raw emotion that comes along with suicide, especially teen suicide. "13 Reasons Why" is showing viewers what suicide, rumors, bullying, etc., can do to someone's spirit and soul.

Here are 13 lessons "13 Reasons Why" taught me, a millennial:

1. When someone you love commits suicide, you blame yourself.

Suicide has become more and more common in our lifetimes. It is now the 10th leading cause of death, there are about 121 suicide attempts per day. If you knew someone or loved someone that committed suicide, you have probably felt like you were to blame. Clay, Hannah's parents, and everyone on the tapes blamed themselves at some point for Hannah's death.

2. Society blames the raped, not the rapist.

Why is it now that we ask "Well what was she wearing?" and "Was she drunk?" instead of asking, "What happened, how can I help?" We as millennials have been fighting back against these questions showing the people that get raped do not ask to be raped. By us blaming the ones who are raped, it makes it impossible for someone to feel comfortable to confess what actually happened.

3. Bullying is serious and it needs to end.

One of the first things Hannah talked about in her tapes was the effect of the pictures of her, that Justin took, had on her. After the pictures got around, she was constantly bullied by being called a whore and a slut. This contributed to her dark thoughts that eventually aided her suicide. We have all been bullied or have been the bully at some point, but why does it have to be like that? Why can't we just love one another?

4. While watching, we realized our own mistakes.

Remember when you called him an idiot or her a whore? Or maybe you laughed when you heard someone call someone else a derogatory name? This show makes everyone realize how much that word or that action could affect someone else.

5. We need to help before the storm, not after.

After Jeff and Hannah died, the school decided to post posters everywhere saying "Don't drink and drive" and "Suicide is not an option." This outraged a few characters because they felt they were just trying to cover up what really happened or they were trying to look good. Why can't schools, newspapers, social media, any type of outlet advertise this before things happen, not after?

6. Us as a society can do a lot better for each other.

Why are we normalizing bullying or hatefulness? This is not something we have to do. We choose to be cruel, we choose to start rumors, we choose to stereotype, but why? Why don't we do better and stop this?

7. High school sucks.

High school is the worst four years of your life. Constantly waiting to graduate so you can go on to college to pursue your dream or work. There's no fast forward button, so try your hardest to make it worth it.

8. If someone hints towards suicide or just sounds sad, listen and get them help.

NEVER ignore a cry for help. Even the slightest mention of someone killing themselves or simply noticing signs of depression can save someone's life. Don’t be afraid to speak up and help. Everyone ignored Hannah's call for help, she ended up killing herself.

9. Rumors spread quicker than a wildfire, don't let it.

The definition of a rumor is a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth. UNCERTAIN OR DOUBTFUL TRUTH. If you do not know the real story or have heard the truth from the person it's about, don't talk about it. Leave it be. Hannah's reputation was ruined over a simple rumor.

10. Drinking and driving is not worth it.

As of 2016, an average of 28 people died per day in DUI related accidents. Jeff was drunk, even if he only had what he said was two beers two hours before he drove, ending in a car accident and his death. Don't risk it, it's not worth it.

11. People will do anything to hide their wrong doings.

The entire series, everyone but Clay was trying to make excuses for what they did or simply saying Hannah was a dead girl look for attention and that she was lying about everything. Everyone now wants to keep their image and reputation so they will do anything to cover it up. But just like in the series, the truth came out.

12. This story wasn't fake, these are real things that can happen.

Suicide, bullying, drunk driving, rumors, and everything else to series includes are very real things happening every day to people around the world. This isn't some romanticized thing where there's a happy ending, it's raw. Hannah Baker dies and everyone who aided in this happening pays the consequences of guilt and people finding out the truth. This isn't a "fake" series, it's real and emotional.

13. It gets better, so wait to see.

Just as any good Netflix series you are binge watching, life gets better. We cannot simply base our fate, meaning life or death, off of people who try to bring you down. Eventually, these people will go away and move on and you will be happier. Even though things did not get better for Hannah Baker, they can be better for you or someone you love going through a rough time. If you need to talk, reach out to someone you can trust. If you're contemplating suicide, don't do it. It can and WILL get better. Call the suicide hotline if you are ever feeling what Hannah Baker felt. Call 1-800-273-8255.