An Open Letter About Life

An Open Letter About Life

There may be bad days, but that doesn't mean it's a bad life

12944
An Open Letter About Life
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/12/03/636478631319530822-1916734033_Image%2012-2-17%20at%208.58%20PM.jpg

An open letter about life,

As said by country heart throb Luke Bryan, “It just goes too fast.” Sometimes life can seem great and other times it feels as though it’s spiraling out of control and you just can’t catch a break. So when your head is underwater and you feel like you can’t catch your breath, here are some things to remember.

First and foremost it is important to know sometimes it is okay to not be okay. Sometimes people have bad days, weeks, months; but hey, that doesn’t mean it’s a bad life. One of my professors in college took the time to talk to us about mental health one class, it was a time for everyone to talk about what many people avoid. At the end, she told us that our brains are wired to remember the bad, not the good; from this she told us the best way to counteract it is to think about three things that made us happy that day, right before we fell asleep. That way we remembered the good and in turn reassured ourselves that everything was going to be alright.

Secondly, it is important to know that you are strong. We don’t give ourselves enough credit most of the time. Why is that? Why are we so much harder on ourselves than anyone else in our lives? I guess some good can come from this, however it is important to know when you are pushing yourself too much. Sometimes it is important to take a step back and give yourself some credit. Whenever I hear one of my friends getting down on themselves, I look at them and say, “Would you say that to a friend?” Of course they look at me, confused, and reply “No?” My response is always one thing and that is “You need to start treating yourself like a friend.” You are alive, you have gotten through each obstacle life has thrown at you thus far, that is something to celebrate!

Third comes from a quote, “Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be.” Some things in life are out of our control and for someone who wants to control everything (me) this can be hard. One of the most important lessons I’ve learned is that you cannot control what life throws at you, the only thing you can and always will be able to control is how you roll with the punches. Only you can decide to rebuild yourself and come out the other end stronger.

Fourth, life really is short. Sometimes it seems like you look around at your life and then suddenly you blink and everything is different. It’s like at the snap of a finger everything is changing all at once and you want it to slow down because it’s getting to be too much. You need to know, life changes, that's how it works but this isn't always a bad thing. Also know you are only given what you can handle, there is nothing you can’t overcome. So hold on to the good things and nurture the relationships that mean something to you. Make the most of each and every day. Surrounding yourself by things and people that make you happy really can change your perspective.

Lastly, take care of yourself. These days it’s always go go go and sometimes you just need to slow down, take a breath and check on yourself. There is nothing wrong with making it a priority to stay grounded. Think of the things that make you happy, the people in your life who love you and all you dream for yourself in the future. Think of your favorite place in the world, a song that makes you smile or a laugh that’s so contagious, how could it not put you in a good mood? The ultimate importance in life is to make sure you are happy. If you aren’t gonna do it, who is?

So basically what I’m saying here is life is hard, I’m not denying it but as said by Miley Cyrus in arguably the most iconic movie ever, “Life’s a climb, but the view is great.” Be sure to hold on tight and enjoy the ride.