11 Female-Led Shows To Watch On Netflix

11 Female-Led Shows To Watch On Netflix

We need more, but here's a few to start with.

205
11 Female-Led Shows To Watch On Netflix

You're probably sick of hearing the term "strong female character." I know I am. Most creators (authors, directors, screenwriters, etc) think that in order for a woman to be a strong character, she has to be unfeminine or hang out exclusively with guys, and that just isn't true. A strong character is a character that is well-written, fleshed out, and can stand on her own without any other character propping her up. She exists when the other characters go away, but her relationships to these characters are important. If you need a lesson on what a Strong Female Character™ looks like, here's some Netflix homework for you.

1. "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries"

I'm super biased, because I am hopelessly in love with this show, but my hope is that you will be too. Phyrne Fisher (Essie Davis) is a lady detective in Melbourne, Australia in the 1920s. Every episode presents a new mystery to solve, aided by her loyal companion Dot and friend on the inside, Dr. Mac. For a show about murder, it's a lot of fun. Miss Fisher doesn't let anything stop her from getting the to the truth. She is tough, brave, passionate, and witty. Dot (Ashleigh Cummings) is a devout Catholic, and while she is often scandalized by Miss Fisher's exploits, they support each other every step of the way. Not only is Dr. Mac (Tammy Macintosh) an accomplished doctor, she's also a lesbian, and her sexuality is never hidden or presented as wrong.

2. "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend"

Rachel Bloom stars as Rebecca bunch, a corporate lawyer who moves across the country to try and get with her summer camp sweetheart, Josh. The show itself is a lot more nuanced than the title suggests. Rebecca begins to take control of her own life and not focus so much making Josh fall for her. It’s also a musical. So really, where can you go wrong?

3. "Slasher"

This one is perfect for Halloween, or any time you’re looking for a good scare. In the first season of this horror anthology, Sarah Bennet (Katie McGrath) was born on Halloween, the same day her parents were murdered. Now, years later, she and her husband are moving back into the house where it all started—only to unleash a new serial killer. Sarah is dedicated, loyal, and fierce. She knows her worth and doesn’t let anyone tell her differently. She refuses to be a damsel in distress, and despite numerous loses, ultimately uses her inner strength to carry on.

4. "Jane The Virgin"

Jane's devout Catholic grandmother and her wild single mom made an impression on her at a very young age. Her grandmother Alba made young Jane (Gina Rodriguez) promise to stay pure until she was married, and Jane has been dutifully keeping that promise. So it comes as a shock when Jane finds out she's pregnant. This show is hilarious and poignant, and at its heart is the relationship between women: Jane, Alba, and her mother Xo, and other families like twins Petra and Anezka and their incarcerated mother. These women all come from different backgrounds and have different stories to tell, but they come together to help and support each other when others fail them (like when Petra tries to cut ties with her toxic family). It shows different layers of women; outside the families, there's Luisa (the gynecologist who accidentally inseminated Jane) and her drug lord lover, Rose. Their dynamic is a telenovela in and of itself.

5. "Marvel's Jessica Jones"

This show is not for the faint of heart. Based on the character of Jessica Jones from Marvel Comics, Krysten Ritter portrays the titular character with all the snark and one liners she deserves, but Jessica is also an abuse survivor. Except her abuser, Kilgrave, has mind control powers. And he's back from the dead. The show runners have said multiple times that they based much of Kilgrave's actions and his trademark line ("Smile!") on real stories from women who have been harassed and abused. Jessica might not come out of her ordeal with a smile, but she has superhuman strength (both literally and figuratively); much of which is drawn from her childhood friend, Trish Walker. Though Trish isn't a superhero and doesn't have powers like Jessica, she is stubborn and and fiercely loyal to Jessica.

6. "Don't Trust The B-- In Apartment 23"

This is another gem from Krysten Ritter, but not he opposite end of the spectrum. DTTB is laugh out loud funny and ridiculously raunchy, and it's led by two roommates in NYC, Chloe (Ritter) and June (Dreama Walker). They're two sides of the stereotypical New York City Girl trope: Chloe is a hard drinker, into various illegal activities, and goes through men like tissues, all without an ounce of shame. Small-town June, meanwhile, is very conservative. She likes to bake, clean, and journal, and is hoping to have a solid job and a husband very soon. It's the female version of The Odd Couple; June and Chloe's differences is what makes their relationship so incredible and their bond so strong.

7. "Supergirl"

Kara Danvers is the cousin of Superman, but she doesn't feel very super. She's a frequently ignored intern and has been avoiding using her powers for most of her life. When her adopted sister, Alex, is on a plane about to crash, Kara leaps into action and becomes the iconic Supergirl. Kara is sweet and silly while Alex is a natural leader, but they lean on each other through good times and bad. The bond between the sisters is tough as stone. Only season one is on Netflix, as seasons two is still airing, but we see more of their bond as Alex struggles with coming to terms with her sexuality and her feelings for another woman.

8. "Chasing Life"

An attractive new boyfriend, a promising new job--April Carver's life is just beginning when she's diagnosed with leukemia. While April struggles with her illness, she also tries to keep her family from worrying. However, Carver women don't back down easily, and they never give up on each other. Each of the women in the family (April's mother, grandmother, and sister) have a unique personality and different storylines. Her sister Brenna, for example, comes out as bisexual, and although her family is accepting, she struggles to fight against the stereotypes of her sexuality. Other women are shown to be just as diverse: Brenna's first girlfriend, Greer, struggles with mental illness and toxic parents; April and Brenna's half sister, Natalie, shuns the Carvers at first but slowly learns to accept them, and them her; Beth, April's best friend, climbs up the ranks in her quest to become a fashion designer.

9. "Chewing Gum"

Another Netflix original, Chewing Gum has been described as "a cringeworthy show for cringey people." Tracey is a devout Christian, but at the age of 24, she's starting to want more out of life. She tries to seduce her boyfriend(s) with no luck, and can't quite figure out how to handle anything remotely sexual, though she tries. This show is utterly hilarious and yes, it will make you cringe. Everyone has those embarrassing moments. Chewing Gum makes you own up to them.

10. "Revenge"

Though Revenge (loosely based on the novel The Counte of Monte Cristo) has many players, the main focus of conflict is between Emily Thorne, formally Amanda Clarke, and the woman she blames for ruining her family, Victoria Grayson. Emily's father and Victoria were having an affair when Emily was a child; not long after, Emily's father was wrongfully arrested and sent to prison for hijacking a plane. After years in and out of juvie and prison, Emily reinvents herself and prepares to take over the Hamptons social scene in order to take down the Graysons and everyone involved in framing her father. This show has women of many different personalities taking the stage and fighting for power--over their lives, each other, or just enough to start over--and they don't back down.

11. "The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt"

Kimmy Schmidt was kidnapped as a child and forced to live in a hole with three other women. Lead by their cult leader, the Revered, they believed that the world had ended. After 15 years, they're freed, and Kimmy is determined not to waste another second. She moves to New York City and finds a quirky roommate, Titus, and an eccentric landlady, Lillian. She takes a job as a babysitter for billionaire wife Jaqueline Voorhees. Kimmy learns how to trust in herself and, over the course of the two seasons, how to forgive herself and the people involved for her kidnapping. The theme song says it all: "Females are strong as hell!"