13 Books to Read this Winter

13 Books to Read this Winter

Some people like to hibernate during the winter with a good book by the warm fire, heres thirteen book recommendations for those book lovers.

28
13 Books to Read this Winter
WhyToRead

This winter we may be stuck inside due to a bunch of snow. So if your one those who are looking for a good book to snuggle by the warm fire with a mug of hot chocolate next to you? Here are a few book ideas to stock up on now so your ready for winter hibernation. (Warning these are all based off of my personal opinion and I tend to read young adult series with romance, drama, dystopia, or adventure.)

1. "Snowed Over" by Angie Stanton

Lets start off with a winter story. This book will get you in the holiday romantic feels. It’s a quick and easy read which can be great if your just looking for a single book for your short winter break, it also is set in winter of Wisconsin so you get the cold winter details to really make your break seem that much more seasonal. The light and fluffy romance is nice and fun to read. As Katie, the main character has to drive north with Alex, a friend of a friend; they get thrown into a nightmare when a blizzard leaves them stranded in a vacant cabin. As they get to know each other feelings blossom, fun memories are shared, and oh Alex is engaged to someone who is not Katie. What happens in this cute romantic holiday tale?

2. "The Red Queen Series" by Victoria Aveyard

One of my personal favorite series I have ever read is the Red Queen series. The first two books are out and I have been anticipating for the third to be published this February, so pick up the first two and catch up this winter just in time for the third. In a world divided by blood, red or silver, the red are commoners, the silver powerful elites with superpowers. Mare, a red, is coming of age in poverty and unhappiness, that is until she is working in the Silver Palace, and discovers she too has a god-like power. The Silvers try to hide her and her red blood, as she gets thrown into this new whirlwind of a world Mare makes friends, enemies, and love interests. But whom can she trust? And can she even listen to her own heart?

3. "The Selection Series" by Kiera Cass

Speaking of a princess story, The Selection Series is definitely a top choice. One hot prince has to choose one girl out of thirty-five for the crown. It’s like “The Bachelor” in a book with royalty. Girl dream of the opportunity to even be in the selection, but for America Singer it’s the last thing she wants. She already has her life set, in love with Aspen, leaving her family in a lower caste for a crown that gets threatened by rebel attacks. But her nightmare happens and she begins the selection for the money for her family resenting at all that is until she meets Prince Maxon. America must make a choice her old love and the plans she once made, or a life she never imagined with a prince.

4. "The Uglies Series" by Scott Westerfeld

Tally is an ugly, she hates the world where to others she is repellent, but soon she is to turn sixteen and can get the operation to turn beautiful, a pretty, a paradise to have fun and be stunning. Tally’s new friend, Shay, tries to show her the truth, the ugly side of the pretty world. Authorities give her a choice, find her friend and turn her in or never turn pretty at all. As her world gets flipped upside down Tally has tough decisions to make through out the entire series. A series that message is about what’s inside counts more than the outside, the author does an amazing job with detail in creating the world and the characters, to put you directly into their life.

5. "The Carrie Diaries Series" by Candace Bushnell

Before “Sex and The City”, Carrie Bradshaw was a regular girl living in the suburbs. She was a senior with best friends by her side, a family who has her back, and a hot bad boy she has her eyes on. But high school is not always easy and Carrie learns that first hand when a friend betrays her. As high school comes to an end Carrie must grow up, chase her dreams, and become a woman. In this series of fashion, friendship, and feelings learn the backstory of the writer from New York City. This is one of my guilty pleasure books because while it may not ever win a crazy award it is still a fun contemporary romance that any girl can relate to.

6. "Delirium Series" by Lauren Oliver

Lauren Oliver has quickly become one of my favorite authors because of her great skill in writing and details through out every book really gets all five of your senses working to put you exactly where the characters in her books are. “They say that the cur for Love will make me happy and safe forever. And I’ve always believed them. Until now.” This dystopian novel is more than just a love story set in a new world where things seem to be going bad. The setting could be in just another neighborhood, family and friendship is brought into the shattering effects of the love cure. Lena’s world is changed drastically when she falls in love in a world where love is seen as a disease. So how is it possible to survive?

7. "Panic" by Lauren Oliver

After reading the Delirium series I fell in love with how Oliver and her poetic like details, so I found another book on clearance for three dollars by her and figured why not. I was in a whirlwind of surprise by the amount of detail, action, and emotion this book had as I continued to try and guess the ending. Carp is a small townin the middles of no where with nothing to do, which is why the seniors of Carps high school have been playing the game Panic very year. A game of fear where the contestants must go through daring challenges to survive the game and win the jackpot of money. Heather’s decision to play was last minute, she never thought she was fearless, but she finds someone to fight for to power her through the game. Dodge was never afraid of the game, and made it seem like he had no reason to play, but everyone does and Dodge tries to keep his a secret. The game brings along alliances, enemies, desperation, revelations, and love for the two main characters. You’re along for the ride as the action continues, your heart races, and your on your toes to find out who wins in the end?

8. "Firstlife (Everlife Series)" by Gena Showwalter

Another book that I am anticipating the next book in the series to be published this year. Firstlife is a book from what seems like a whole other world. In this world they believe that the Firstlife is just a preparation for the next, it’s actually where you go after you die that is real life. For Tenley Lockwood, or Ten, she has spent a decent amount of her Firstlife in an asylum because she refuses to let her parents choose which realm, Troika or Myraid, she will live in when she dies. Ten has big decisions to make while on the run in a tug-of-war with the two realms that want her soul on their side. These decisions seem almost impossible when she’s not sure who to trust, if she should follow her heart to the boy she is falling for, or if she can even stay alive long enough to make the decision. This series has many mixed reviews, so you’ll just have to read through the adventurous book to decide your own thoughts.

9. "The 5th Wave" Series by Rick Yancey

Okay so this book is on the top of my books to read, I saw the movie and was fascinated and now I want to read the series before any more movies come out… if they come out. I have not read the books yet, but I plan to. And I have been told, that like most times, the books are better than the movie and I hope that to be true because now I have a new series. The first wave: darkness. The second wave: natural disasters. The third wave: sickness. The fourth wave: invasion. The fifth wave: the fight back. When aliens come to earth killing humans, humans have no choice but to fight back or die.

10. "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein

The book that pulls away from my normal reads and focuses on one of my favorite animals, a dog. Enzo is different than other dogs, he is educated himself by paying attention to the human world closely. His master, Denny, a racecar driver, has also taught him many things even things he didn’t know he was teaching the dog. At the end of Enzos life he looks back and realizes that life, like racing, isn’t just about going fast. This book is a whirlwind of emotions. The good, the bad, the sad, and the funny. It takes you through family, loyalty, love, and hope through the eyes of a terrier, lab mutt. Just make sure you have a tissue box next to you…

11. "The Matched" Series by Ally Condie

I received this book for Christmas because I loved the summary and idea of it, but before opening it I got thrown off by seeing a few negative reviews, I’m glad I gave the book a chance though. It may be a little unoriginal with the dystopian love story with a rebellion and moments of epiphany, but isn’t that the genre that is in right now? So here is my summary and you can decide to read it or not. In this world the society’s officials decide whom you love, where you work, and when you die. For Cassia she trusted them and she saw it as a small price to pay as long as she got a long life, a good job, and an ideal mate. When her best friend appears on her Matching screen, Cassia is happy that he is the one, but then another face appears in an instant before the screen is black. Cassia is stuck with what seems like an impossible decision, Xander or Ky, a life shes known or one that’s never been dared to follow, perfection or passion?

12. "Shatter Me" Series by Tahereh Mafi

I read this book this past summer and fell in love with the unique writing style and character development and action. Now before I get started I’ll admit the first book can be kind of annoying, slow and somewhat uncomfortable, but the series as a whole is great. By the end of the third book many things have changed, you are intrigued, and you can feel the emotions. Sure there are issues but all in all the series was a good series. Juliette has a curse anyone she touches she kills. The last time she touched someone it was an accident but now the Reestablishment has locked her up in isolation for murder. As the world crumbles to pieces, survivors want war on the Reestablishment thinking they are what are wrong with the world. Then the Reestablishment has other plans for Juliette, she may be exactly what she needs. Will Juliette be a weapon or a warrior?

13. "A Court of Thorns and Roses" Series by Sarah J. Maas

When Feyre, a nineteen-year-old huntress, kills a wolf, a beast arrives and demands justice. Feyre is dragged into a magical world only talked about in legends and discovers her capture is the one and only Tamlin, a lethal, immortal faerie who once ruled their world. As Feyre gets to know Tamlin her feelings transform from anger to passion and she realizes the lies she was told about his land called Fae. Now Tamlin and his world may be gone forever when a wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, can Tamlin save them? With ongoing action, stunning imagery of a new world, and developing characters, this book may be your new favorite. Now for the third book of the series to come out this year and possibly more to come!

Okay, so maybe I read a lot more of the dystopian genre then I thought. But I would recommend these books to anyone, some more than others, but they are all worth the read if your into these kind of series that are in right now, but to each your own. Let me know what you thought of any on of the books above or if you have any other book suggestions for me to read! And read on my fellow book lovers, happy winter hibernation!