12 Ways To Know You're A Mermaid Stuck On Land

It's a struggle being stuck on land.

1907
Fire Pixie Entertainment

If you feel more at home in the water than on land, you know what it’s like to be a mermaid with legs. It’s a tough life having to live on land when where you really want to be is somewhere under the waves. You do your best to deal with your circumstances, though.

1. You love "The Little Mermaid."

Ariel was, and always will be, your favorite Disney princess. Growing up, you watched "The Little Mermaid" on repeat and maybe even tried sticking a fork in your hair to use it as a comb once or twice. You wondered why Ariel would ever want to be a human when she clearly had it made “under the sea.” You also probably envied her for being able to talk to all sorts of marine animals.

2. You prefer the aquarium to any zoo or museum.

Elementary school trips to the zoo were fun and all, but the aquarium is the place you really wanted to be. All the fish, sharks and rays captured your attention like nothing else could. You were probably the type of kid who always sat front row in the splash zone during the dolphin show.

3. You're still holding out that mermaids are real.

You know it’s unlikely, and probably impossible, but you still have your fingers crossed. After all, there is so much of the deep ocean we haven’t explored yet. You never know, right? If they exists in books and movies, why not in real life?

4. You have a seashell collection.

Every time you go to the beach, you bring something back home with you. You’re the type of person that shell hunts as soon as your feet hit the sand. Sea glass is even better. You’ve probably found all sorts of treasures walking the beach: sand dollars, conch shells or a crab shell.

5. You love the ocean.

You love the ocean, the beach, the sand, the sun. Everything. The beach is your favorite spot to vacation and if you could, you’d live there. That might already be your game plan. When people ask where you see yourself in 20 years, a beach house exists somewhere in that vision.

6. Your room was once beach or underwater themed.

Sea creatures might have decorated your walls. You might have had a comforter with shells. Beach scenes might have hung from your walls. At the very least, your room was probably a shade of blue that reminded you of the ocean.

7. You love the smell of salt air.

When you smell salt air, you know you’re close to the beach. They make candles out of the smell, but nothing compares to actually being there and experiencing it. It reminds you of relaxation, vacation and childhood memories. It’s arguably the most comforting smell out there.

8. You feel at home in the water.

Swimming came naturally to you at a young age. You love to float in the water and people have had to drag you out because you just didn't want to leave. Playing in the waves is still fun for you, even though you’re almost an adult. The water makes you feel comfortable and is basically your second home.

9. You prefer snorkeling to tanning.

Passive, relaxing beach days are nice, but so is exploring. If you’re in a place where you can snorkel, you’re probably going to do it. Seeing all the marine life below you might freak some people out, but it just makes you feel like a mermaid.

10. You wish you could breathe underwater.

You’ve thought about it. Multiple times. You could explore the ocean and never have to come up for air. Being able to breathe underwater would be the ideal superpower for someone like you who is, indeed, a mermaid stuck on land.

11. You watched "H20" on Nickelodeon.

Watching this show made you question whether or not you were a mermaid. When you realized that you would probably know by now if were a mermaid, you just envied those girls and their Australian accents. It was still a good show, though.

12. Dolphins are your favorite animals.

Or some other marine animal. Turtles are another popular one. Either way, you still get excited when you see dolphin fins in the distance, no matter how many times you’ve seen it. Some things will never get old and seeing sea life in action is one of those things.