12 Ways To Succeed In College That Students Often Forget About

For the whole semester, not just the first week!

23
youtube.com

It's the night before the first day of the semester. You have your backpack packed, a case of new sharpened pencils, all of your textbooks purchased, and your schedule and syllabuses printed out. You're determined to make this semester so much better than last. You tell yourself your going to get up early and go to bed early every night, not procrastinate, and actually do your textbook reading. Then a few weeks later reality sets in and you're back to your scatterbrained, unorganized, caffeine-induced self. Here is a list of ways to keep yourself on track during the school year when you feel like your organizational skills have fallen apart.

1. Buy a planner -- and actually use it!

The mistake most students make is buying a planner, using it for the first week of school, and then forgetting about it. Try to make it a habit to use it as much as possible! Don't only include school related things either. Make sure you plan dates such as family and social events or club meetings. This helps you see what days you have time to catch up on work and what days you will be too busy to get work done.

2. Plan when you will study for your exams

If you know you have an exam coming up, try to schedule which days you will start studying. For example, if your exam is on Friday, try studying for 20 minutes on Tuesday, 30 minutes on Wednesday and 40 minutes on Thursday. This helps you avoid cramming. Studying is so much more effective when you study the material over a few days rather than the night before.

3. Be prepared for class.

It's so easy to become so caught up in the little things in life that you forget to bring your textbook, do a homework assignment, or run out of pens. To avoid this, make a checklist every night that you have everything you need for the next morning. This should include all of your books for the next days classes, any homework assignments, scantrons (if your professors don't provide them), pens, pencils, etc.

4. Actually participate in class.

I know especially for shy people like me, participating in class can be very overwhelming. But even just making one comment a day can make a huge difference. This helps your professors get to know you and put your face with your name. It also shows you are interested in the material and paying attention. Many professors also count participation in your grades, especially if you go to a small school!

5. Don't be afraid to ask your professors for help.

I was very guilty of this my freshman year. If I didn't understand something in class, I never spoke up. Remember your professors are there to help you, and having them clear something up can make a huge difference! If you don't feel comfortable speaking in front of the whole class, you can talk to them before or after class or during their office hours. Most times they are more than happy to help you. After all, it's their job to!

6. Don't be afraid to talk to your professors if you are unhappy with your grade.

Many times, if you maturely explain to your professor that you are unhappy with your grade, they will let you do corrections. I went from a 74 to a 90 on a project in one class simply because I didn't understand the directions. It never hurts to ask!

7. Take advantage of the academic center.

Another mistake I made freshman year was not going to the academic center. They are beyond helpful! The academic center also isn't just for helping with papers or tests either- they can help you with study skills, organizational skills, or time management. The tutors are all very nice and you will be matched with one who has taken the class you need help in and is most likely the same major as you as well.

8. Make friends with your classmates.

You don't have to be best friends with all of them, but most of the kids in your major will be in the majority of your classes, so it makes it much easier when you are friendly with them. Try to have someone's number in each class, that way you always have someone to reach out to when you need help with homework or don't understand an assignment. Studying with friends also can help a lot when you are having trouble in a class.

9. Get involved on campus!

Not only does getting involved on campus give you something to do and looks good on your resume, but it helps you meet people who can help you in class! Maybe you'll meet an older student who has taken the class you're struggling in and can help you.

10. Use different study strategies.

When I was in high school, I studied the same way for every class -- I just reread my notes a million times. The truth is there are so many different ways to study, and not every way works for every person. I find making flash cards very useful and also having someone quiz me on the material.

11. Actually do the textbook reading, and break it down into small parts.

We are all guilty of saying we will actually read the textbook, and then never picking it up. Although it seems like a waste of time, many classes heavily rely on the textbook. Since chapters can be lengthy, try reading a little bit each night. You'd be surprised how many exam questions come directly from the textbook!

12. Remember to eat and sleep!

I know very well that it's very difficult to try and find time for a good night sleep each night and breakfast every morning. But try to make as much of an effort as possible to get at least 7 hours of sleep each night and eat something in the morning, even if it's just an apple or a granola bar. Your brain is so much more efficient when you're not hungry or tired. Try and manage your time so you're not stuck doing a ten page paper in one night!

When you hit that mid-semester mark and realize your grades aren't doing as well as they should be, take a look at this list and see if you can make any changes in your routine. Try and keep these habits all semester long, not just the first few weeks of school!