12 Ways To Save Money On Christmas Shopping

Christmas shopping may get stressful, but there are plenty of ways to save!

25
http://abcnews.go.com

After Thanksgiving, we can officially be in Christmas mode. It is exciting at first, but than you realize this always means you need to plan your Christmas shopping. You have family, friends, among others to shop for. It can be very overwhelming to start planning out who are are buying for and what you're buying them. And then you think to yourself, "Where am I getting all of this money from to buy these presents?!"

There are definitely ways to save your money this Christmas seasons. As a self-proclaimed professional shopper and experienced during the Christmas season, it can be easy to splurge on presents and lose track of how much money you've spent. If you get organized and put thought into it, this Christmas season can be much easier on yourself and your wallet.

1. Start saving early

Around November, try to limit your spending and save enough money for the Christmas season. You could also create a savings account to stash away money specifically for Christmas shopping.

2. Create a budget

Making yourself a budget can definitely help you limit your spending. For example, you can spend no more than $25 on a present. This way, you can keep yourself in that range and not go overboard.

3. Limit yourself on gifts

This can also tie in with putting yourself on a budget. You can also plan to buy one or two presents per person. I have this problem, I love buying a lot of presents for one person, but that becomes very costly. Putting yourself on a present limit can prevent that from happening.

4. Make lists to keep organized

This can most certainly keep you organized. This way, you can see who you have to buy for, what you are buying them, and how much it will cost. I also like to make separate lists for friends, family, and coworkers. It also feels very accomplishing once you start to cross things off your list.

5. Research promotions and discount codes

Before you go shopping in a store or online, make sure you try and find discount codes or promotions! You can find these on the store's website or coupon websites like retailmenot.com. You never know if the store has some kind of sale going on!

6. Look in the sales section

Have no fear in looking in the sales or clearance section of the store or website. Sometimes, they have the exact same thing you are looking for in that section and for a much cheaper price. For example, when I'm buying from Vera Bradley, I look for the item I want in the sales section, this way I'm getting the item for cheaper and it's still a nice pattern.

7. Shop in increments

You don't have to do all of your shopping at once. I suggest spreading it out, this way you are not spending all of your money in one day. You can shop a little bit at a time, and in between you can save more money.

8. The earlier, the better

Don't wait until the last minute to shop! The sooner you can get your shopping done, the better. This way you can beat the rush of last minute shopping. Usually, last minute shopping means the prices are raised since stores know they will be having shoppers last minute.

9. Purpose a Secret Santa

If you have a big family, or a big group of friends, purposing a Secret Santa gift exchange is a great idea. This way, you save money by only shopping for one person, instead of everybody in the group. My family and I are doing a Secret Santa this year for the first time and I am very excited!

10. Consider D.I.Y. presents

If you are crafty and good at making things, D.I.Y. presents are the perfect idea. They are customized presents you put in the time to make, and you will not spend as much money. There are thousands of ideas for Christmas presents you can make yourself.

11. Try and avoid splurging

I know for me personally, splurging is hard to avoid. But do the best you can to stick to your list and try to not buy extra presents.The extra presents you buy, the more money you spend that you didn't plan on spending.

12. Keep track of how much money you've spent

This is an important aspect if you want to save money this Christmas season. Keep track of the things you have already bought. There are different apps you can download to input what you have bought and spent, you can use a mobile banking, or simply journal it. Seeing what you already spent can make it easier for future shopping.