12 Unexpected Reasons to be Thankful For

Unexpected thank yous we all need to say

10
Interaction Institute for Social Change

Everybody has something to be thankful for, and sometimes it may not be evident but we can always reflect on our lives and find something to be grateful for. At times life can be very difficult and it is easy to find things to complain about, but more often than not we find ourselves on the better end of the coin, we find ourselves where the grass is greener if only we know who to thank and where to look. So many moments in life give us a chance to look at our lives and see that everything we have felt, all that we have experienced has been for our benefit and we have come out of these experiences stronger than we were when we went in. We have so much to thank, even if we do not realize it. Here are the thank yous I need to say and need to realize in my own life.

1. Thank you to the teachers who challenged me. Without you, I would not have found it in myself to push myself to succeed and I would not have found my passion for working hard to achieve my goals.

2. Thank you to all the interviewers who turned me down. If I had taken that job at your company, I would not be where I am today - doing something much more meaningful and enjoyable with my life. I was upset at the time, but now I see that it was for my better that I did not get that job.

3. Thank you to the times I failed. Thank you for teaching me that resilience is the best skill a person can develop. So many times I wanted to give up and never try again so many times I did not think I was good enough to achieve my goals. So many times I was proven wrong. So many times I learned that it always better to keep working and things will always get better.

4. Thank you to all the strangers I see every day. Seeing humanity in its busy self provides me with strength and motivation to remember that we are all here for a reason and I should be taking advantage of this life I've been given. We are all here to make a difference, and I cannot wait to see the difference that you make.

5. Thank you to the long days. Without you, I would not know what it is like to be tired, and what a wonderful feeling it is to be tired, to ache, to know that I have achieved something great.

6. Thank you to all the weight I've gained, and the weight that I've lost. You teach me that things happen in a cycle and life takes its toll on everyone, but the number on the scale does not reflect who I am as a person.

7. Thank you to the people I've disagreed with over the years. You've shown me that I am not always right and there is always something to be considered when interacting with others and new situations. It is not easy to admit when you are wrong, but it is a skill we all need to develop, and one we cannot develop without a few altercations.

8. Thank you to the opportunities I was not expecting. You've shown me that another door will always open and give you the chance you need to do what you are meant to do.

9. Thank you to the rainy days. Thank you for reminding me that all life needs rain to flourish, and when there's rain there will be the sun as well.

10. Thank you to the immensely hot summer days. Thank you for allowing me to feel something so glorious, even though at times it was excruciating.

11. Thank you for growing pains that come with every new life situation. You make me feel like I can overcome anything after having overcome you.

12. Thank you educational school system. You've given me a chance to find myself, broaden my mind, and enhance my future.