12 TV Shows And Their Badass Female Characters

Sorry about the language, but these ladies are pretty freaking awesome.

232
The TV Addict

TV is great, but it’s even better when there are some kick-ass females running the show. You probably didn’t need another reason to watch more television, but in case you did, here are, in no specific order, some shows with pretty boss female characters that you need to familiarize yourself with.

1. "Scandal" - Olivia Pope

If I could be anyone in the world it would probably be Olivia Pope- minus all the illegal stuff and PTSD of course. Olivia Pope hasn’t been dealt the best cards in life, but she certainly isn’t afraid to get her hands dirty and go after what she wants. This lady is a genius when it comes to crises and knows what makes people tick. She’s also brilliant and rocks trench coats like it's nobody's business.

2. "Gossip Girl" - Blair Waldorf

Similar to Miss. Pope, Blair Waldorf doesn’t always get what she wants in the most noble of ways. She has used her fair share of dirty tricks to get where she is, but one has to admire her determination and drive. She can exhibit dignity and decorum like the best of the royals—"can" being the key word here. Plus her wardrobe is immaculate and her throne is the steps of the Met. B will always be my favorite fictional female character.

3. "Game of Thrones" - Daenerys Targaryen

Game of Thrones has a lot of killer chicks in it, but Daenerys definitely takes the cake. I mean, she is the Mother of Dragons. She fights for herself in a testosterone-filled world and does so without stepping on the little people, unlike most of the other characters in this show. While she does get a little off-track sometimes, she largely sticks to her values and for what she believes is right.

4. "Grey’s Anatomy" - Meredith Grey

Even if you haven’t watched "Grey’s Anatomy," I’m sure you know by the infinite number of internet memes and screenshots that everyone in this show dies. Meredith has really been through it all. I barely survived watching twelve seasons of this show, I could never imagine what it would be like to actually be Meredith Grey and have experienced all of it. Yes, the show is fictional but not only has Meredith lost so much and been through so much, she’s managed to survive on the show this long which is an accomplishment in itself. Plus, Taylor Swift named her cat after her so you know she’s the real deal.

5. "One Tree Hill" - Brooke Davis

Brooke kind of starts off as that girl that everyone loves to hate. She was a bit wild and crazy in the first and second season of OTH, but once Brooke matured she became a force to be reckoned with. If they gave out awards for "most improved" in television shows, B. Davis would totally win it. Not only does she prove to everyone that you can do whatever you want to do and be whoever you want to be, she shows that your past does not define who you are. Oh, and she taught everyone the importance of "clothes over bros." Thanks, Brooke.

6. "How to Get Away With Murder" - Annalise Keating

Another character created by Shonda Rhimes, so what’s not to love. Annalise Keating is a kick-ass lawyer who is not afraid to stick it to the man. This woman has got a fire inside her and can strike fear in just about anyone with one single look. Sometimes her actions are a bit questionable and it makes you wonder whether or not she has a conscious, but her ability to win cases and fight for what she (or her client) wants makes her totally hardcore.

7. "Revenge" - Emily Thorne (Grayson / Amanda Clarke)

Emily Thorne/Grayson or Amanda Clark or whatever you want to call her has been able to successfully live a completely fabricated life and lie to just about everyone around her without imploding- something I would never be able to do. As she tries to figure out who she is and uncovers more and more dark secrets of those around her, she manages to stay sane and remarkably keeps almost completely to herself. Plus, she does all this in killer cocktails dresses and impossibly high high heels. Only someone with great calves and impeccable mental health could manage to do that. Way to be, Emily.

8. "Reign" - Mary Stuart (Queen of Scots)

As the Queen of Scotland and Queen of France for a bit, this girl was born to rule. It’s not always easy looking out for two countries and trying to watch your back among all the nasty nobles lurking about, but Queen Mary figured out a way to do it. She’s also had some tough times of her own which makes her relatable, but she always seems to come back fighting and stronger than ever with a strength that is nothing less than admirable.

9. "Gilmore Girls" – Rory Gilmore

Rory is smart, kind and good, a trifecta that is sort of rare in lead female characters. Rory made it through her teens and early adult years without any major mishaps which is certainly admirable and makes me want to sit down with her and get some advice. Rory is also one of the most hardworking female characters I've ever come across and she sort of just makes you want to be better and do better.

10. "Jessica Jones" – Jessica Jones

Jessica is a private detective by day, super-hero by night. She has a super sassy attitude and can hang with the big dogs. She stands out among other female characters, and not just because of her super-strength. Not to mention how refreshing it is seeing a female wearing a cape for once.

11. "New Girl" - Jessica Day

Jessica is probably not the female character that comes to mind when someone hears the word “badass,” but she is hardcore in her own way. She has this uncanny ability to stay positive and go with the flow no matter what life throws at her. She is also a wonderful friend and is always looking out for the people she cares about. Much like Rory, Jessica inspires viewers to be good and keep a smile on their face.

12. "Girls"

This show just has so many cool chicks, four main ones actually, who are doing their own thing in New York City and are figuring out life as they go. These girls aren’t afraid to make their own mistakes, but they always make sure they learn and grow from them. Most importantly, the female characters in this show don’t allow other people to define who they are. They are each unashamedly their own person and tackle slut-shaming and body-shaming like no characters have ever done before. Their bad-assery is inspiring to say the least.