12 Things To Remember If You Ever Get Sick In College

Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.

344
runningmagazine.ca

Two weeks ago, I was hit with a predicament that caused me to visit the health center on campus for the first time, and then, unfortunately, have a friend drive me to the emergency room in the next town over. As a particularly safe sophomore in college, I haven't had much use for the health center, and I haven't had any real reason to take caution when I caught a cold or something simple in college. Now that things are different, I'm here to spread some wisdom and tell you the 12 things to remember when you're feeling sick in college.

1. Have your emergency contacts marked in your phone

The common phrase 'ICE' can be used when marking your emergency contacts. The helpful abbreviation stands for 'In Case of Emergency' and will help not only your friends but also medical professional contact your legal guardians or spouse should they ever need to.

2. Make sure you have your insurance card or a copy of it

Had I not had a copy of my insurance card while heading to the emergency room, I would have been in some serious trouble. Ask your parents for a copy or the card itself and don't lose it. It's pretty imperative that you have it on you at all times.

3. Carry your ID with you always

Whether it's your driver's license or just a state-issued ID, the identification can help medical professionals better ID you than student identification.

4. If a friend is taking you to the hospital or is riding with you in an ambulance, give them your phone.

While I was in the emergency room, I gave my best friend my phone, so that she could keep in contact with my family and best friends. I was in no shape to contact people, and I was thankful that she was willing to update everyone on my condition.

5. Don't be afraid to go to the health center.

I've never used the health center before and was completely panicked.You probably pay some amount to the health center in your tuition and fees, so you might as well get the most out of what you pay. Sometimes an expert's opinion is just what you need.

6. Do not self-diagnose

If you think you have an infection or something, you can mention it to the doctors or nurses in the health center, but don't assume you're correct when you googled symptoms.

7. If you're feeling terrible, skip your classes

Falling behind on work can be a serious headache, but don't go to class if you think you may throw up on the way there or during. I'm sure your professors and classmates would much rather you call out sick than vomit everywhere.

8. Try not to panic.

Ship happens to everyone. You are not the first person to get sick in class or in college. Even if a freak accident happens, remain as calm as you possibly can. Panicking will only make your symptoms worse.

9. Ask for help when you need it.

Even if you just need a friend to sit with you so you don't panic, or if you'd like to facetime a friend when you're swallowing a pill to make sure you don't choke, asking for help is okay. Your friends want you to be okay just as much as you want to feel better.

10. Know your allergies.

If you're allergic to any medicines or prescriptions, know this. If your family has any relevant medical history - learn it. Knowing these things can be especially helpful if you need to attend a doctor or hospital.

11. Stock up on tissues and sprite.

Even if what you're dealing with is not congestion related or sore-throat related, these are the two main staples of the common cold starter pack. Some other great things to stock up on include: a heating pad, ice pack, a thermometer, and Vicks VapoRub.

12. You can get through this.

No matter what you're dealing with, big or small, you can do this. With the right amount of rest, hard work, and support, you can fight this and beat this, whatever it is.