12 Things Retail Workers Want You To Know

Being rude gets you nowhere.

67

Anyone who has ever worked in retail knows that it’s no easy job. When we’re not busy trying to maintain the entire store, our real work all boils down to customer service. And, sometimes, the customers aren’t all that easy to deal with. It’s actually quite humbling to work in retail. You learn patience, you learn to cultivate strong relationships with co-workers and, most importantly, you learn how to deal with people who just flat out suck. That being said, here are 12 things that retail workers want you to know.

1. We do not set the prices.

I’m really sorry that your total adds up to over $300. But, no, I cannot give you the employee discount. No, we do not have any coupons out. No, in-store promotions are not the same as online promotions. So please, put down your phone and get off of RetailMeNot.com. I promise you that there is no secret sale going on, and everybody in line behind you probably hates you.

2. Put the phone down.

We’re not telling you to stop playing your game, sending your text message or browsing through social media. We’re telling you to hang up the phone when you’re at the register. Really, guys? This one is just rude. Cashiers are people too, and it would be really nice to be acknowledged as such. Sorry, you will not be getting next week’s 25 percent off coupon in your bag.

3. Control your children.

I get it. Mommy/Daddy life is hard. But please, I do not want to ring up that shirt after your child has been sucking on the tag for the past five minutes.

4. Do not leave your children unsupervised.

Enough said.

5. We don't all hate our jobs.

Sure, sometimes we might have long days, but retail workers get a bad rep. If you have a question, feel free to ask us. We’re actually more than happy to help. It’s a nice change from re-ticketing and running merchandise back and forth.

6. You have no idea how much easier our lives get if you take the hangers off of your merchandise.

I know you hate standing in lines. We do too. If you want to help speed the process up, take the hangers off of the clothes you’re about to purchase. You’ll be in and out in no time.

7. We deal with some really mean people.

When I say “mean," I’m talking about customers who are flat out rude and obnoxious. So, don’t judge us if you see us in tears or arguing with someone because sometimes the customer is not always right. If you catch us in one of these emotional states, greet us kindly and smile. You have no idea how greatly that restores our faith in humanity.

8. Hi shoplifters: we see you.

Honey, you did not come into the store with a purse that full. We might not be able to chase after you, but you are on camera. We will remember your face for next time.

9. Don't be tempted by the candy and knickknacks close to the register.

This is tough one, especially if you have kids. But, trust me, $3.50 for a pack of M&M’s isn’t worth it.

10. Don't be afraid to spark conversation with a fellow employee.

Hey, we hate awkward silence as much as you do.

11. We actually want to save you money.

I promise we’re not trying to rip you off, and all that extra talking we do at the register isn’t all small talk. Honestly, we’ll do the best we can to give you the best deals.

12. There's nothing that makes us happier than seeing a customer leave the store happy.

Working in retail has its ups and downs, but working in customer service can be extremely rewarding. Putting a smile on someone’s face is priceless; not many other jobs give you the opportunity to feel good about yourself and impart a random act of kindness every single day.