12 Things Dance Taught Me

12 Things Dance Taught Me

138
12 Things Dance Taught Me

Throughout my life I have played many sports and been part of many organizations. I have played softball, soccer, basketball, baseball, and football. I have sang, danced, and acted. I have done it all. Being a part of all of these sports and organizations has granted me many life lessons that I am very thankful for. Each sport and organization has taught me things that I will forever be grateful for. I started dancing a lot later than most people at almost 17 years old. But during my three years of dancing, I have learned things that I never had learned before and those things will always be things that I cherish. Here are 12 things dance taught me.

Dance is very unique, and the experience of being a dancer is different from anything else I have done. Though everything I have done had the same dedication and passion, dance taught me more life lessons in a short amount of time then any other sport or organization I had ever been a part of and for that I am thankful. There are so many things that I've learned in these past three years I could never write them all down, but here is a list of my top 12 things I have learned from dance.

1. How to grasp choreography and concepts faster than someone can teach them.

Dance has helped me understand concept and grasp choreography, sometimes faster than someone can teach it. This has helped me with school and throughout life by helping me learn at an accelerated pace and fully grasp information quickly.

2. Understanding that everybody doesn't have the same motives and goals as you do.

Everyone isn't going to have the same goals in life as you. Even though you may want to work your hardest and become the best dancer you can be, others may just be there to make friends or because their parents made them. In life, there are many reasons to be a part of something and everyone will have different reasons.

3. Sometimes the "most talented" isn't the one who will succeed. Its about work ethic and how much you really care.

In the dance world and in the real world, being the most naturally talented or gifted doesn't necessarily mean you will succeed. Work ethic and passion are the most important.

4. How to work with others as a team.

If you're a dancer there's a good chance that you have had to work together with others to create dancing or dance performances. Dance has helped me learn how to work with others as a team even if outside of dance I wouldn't get along with them.

5. There is always going to be drama but the drama will eventually pass, don't stress about it.

Drama is something that is always going to happen and when drama does happen, you can find yourself very stressed out. Dance helps you understand that it'll pass and just get used to it and let the drama pass.

6. Real friends will have your back no matter what.

When you spend 20+ hours a week with the same people you become kinda close. Dance helped me learn that true friends will always have your back no matter what.

7. No matter how prepared you are for an audition or interview you may not get the part/job.

No matter how hard you work or how prepared you are for an audition or interview, you won't always get the part or job. There will be people out there that are better than you and more fitting for the role or job. But just because there are people out there that are better than you doesn't mean you need to stop trying. It means try harder, become better and in the future, be the person that is the most fitting for the role/job.

8. How to manage my time.

When you're dancing five to seven days a week and in school/working, you have to learn how to manage your time. Dance has helped me learn how to prepare for a performance and finish a seven-page paper all in one night.

9. How to manage my stress.

Dance can be very stressful. From having to learn three dances the day before you perform them to having to dance for 10 hours before a big test the next day. There are many stressful situations you have to endure when dance is part of your life. Dance has helped me understand how to manage my stress.

10. You can't and won't always be in control.

Especially for us control freaks out there, it can be really hard to not be in control. Dance has helped me understand that you can't and won't always be in control of everything. Sometimes you have to do choreography and other things that you don't particularly like to do but in the real world, you have to suck it up and do it anyways.

11. How to face your fears and even talk yourself into believing you don't have any.

Everyone has fears and sometimes you have to face those fears. Dance has helped me understand how to face my fears and even talk myself into believing I don't have any. Sometimes when you're really scared to do that leap that you know you suck at, you have to suck it up and do it anyways and do it to the best of your ability.

12. How to watch from afar and still learn just as much maybe more than actually participating.

Maybe you're injured and have to watch class instead of participate, maybe you're watching a professional show or maybe you're even just watching a video on YouTube. Dance has taught be how to observe and learn from others.

Thank you, dance, for teaching more than anything else I've even be a part of.

Thank you dance for helping me learn all of these lessons I am forever thankful.