12 Things To Know About Apartment Hunting In Chicago

So many places to live, so little time.

199
Tyler Sichelski

Apartment hunting in Chicago can be stressful. It's a big city, and there are

so many places to live, but so little time to decide. The school year is ending and if you're a college student, you might consider living off campus. Most people will start looking for one at least a month early, and if it were my bet I would say that you would be lucky to find one for your tastes if you start looking at least two months ahead, but that all depends on what you're looking for.

1. Use a Trustworthy Website

Always use a website that gives accurate listings and information about the apartment. The best sites that I've used are Zillow, Trulia, Domu, Apartments.com, and when all else fails, Craigslist generally has good options that don't show up on other websites. You can search certain areas of Chicago to narrow your search, like the Near West Side, South Side, Lincoln Park area, et cetera.

2. Keep a List

You'll most likely come across a lot of apartments with your search, so make sure you save the ones that catch your eye. Also make sure whatever you look for is within your budget. You might really want an apartment with an in-unit washer and dryer, but it could be cheaper to go with one that has shared laundry in a building or even without it. Some websites like Zillow will allow you to save ones that you've picked so that you can go back and visit them later.

3. Start Looking Early

The sooner you start looking, the easier it will be to find the one you're looking for. People normally start looking a month before they sign their lease, but if you really want to work with your schedule and an agent's, it's best to start looking at least two months early. Once apartments in Chicago are on the market, they go away fast, so make sure you set up an appointment with any you find that catch your eye.

4. Know the Area

Search crime data by using the Crime Data Map for Chicago on Trulia.com. This map shows exactly what recent crimes have occurred in certain areas and graphs the map to indicate how dangerous an area is based in green, yellow, orange, and red. Your agent should also be able to answer your questions about the neighborhood.

5. Set Up A Visit

If an apartment listing doesn't have an agent listed, then there's something wrong! Call, text, or email them ASAP to set up a visit because agents are busy.

6. Flood Your Agent with Questions

Keep in mind that realtors are members of the National Association of Realtors. Real estate agents aren't realtors unless they've been granted an active real estate license from a qualified school and adhere to a particular code of ethics of the NAR. Ask any question you can think of, because this will be your home for a while. Good questions to ask are if you can modify the apartment (putting nails & tacks in the wall, paint, etc.), if your agent works solo or as a part of a team, has the area been growing, how many clients do you represent, if you are in a garden or basement unit, ask if there is a history of flooding, and most importantly, ask if you are paying for water. If you are paying for water in the city, you are being scammed.

7. Inspect the Apartment

When you visit, check to make sure the toilets, sinks, thermostat and smoke detectors work. If they don't, then your landlord should be able to get it all working by the time you move in. Also check to make sure the floor and walls aren't damaged. If they are, then you shouldn't have to pay for reparations, but it should be repaired by the landlord's contact.

8. Watch for bait-switchers!

Baiting and switching is a common fraud practiced by real estate agents. This happened to me when my two roommates and I were visiting an apartment that was advertised for $1,650 a month. When we showed up, he showed us the whole apartment, and we finished asking our questions, but when he mentioned the final price, he switched it up to $1,800.

9. Don't Get Scammed on Your First Month's Rent

Before you rent an apartment, you have to pay a security deposit, which shouldn't exceed twice the amount of your first month's rent. Make sure to ask your agent that the only amount you will be paying at move-in are these two expenditures, because if you are paying more, then you're dealing with a unreliable agent.

10. Accessibility to CTA and a Parking Space

If you're looking for somewhere to park, make sure that your apartment offers a parking space somewhere behind the apartment or out front. Also, be sure to check if there's a bus stop or train stop nearby.

11. Get in Contact with the Previous Residents

If you're nervous about the place you're renting out, it wouldn't hurt to contact the previous residents. Your agent should be able to get them or other references in touch with you.

12. Look for a Community Facebook Page

If you are looking to get in touch with your community, ask your agent if your neighborhood has a Facebook page, or look one up before you even decide to start looking for an apartment in that area. This is a good way for the community to get to know each other and voice problems that can arise.