If You Don't Know What To Say, Here's Are 25 Ways To Be There For A Friend Who Needs You

Because actions always speak louder than words.

61

It's the season of change.

Whether it's in the leaves, the weather, or our personal lives, it's natural to be in the middle of an evolving time. We all fight our own daily battles and sometimes we can get so caught up in our own lives that we forget to check up on the people who mean the most to us. As we may be experiencing our uphill climbs, the people who we love could be facing their own personal Everest. You may be asking yourself, well what can I do?

The unique thing about problems in our own lives is they are personalized to our selves, which can make understanding someone else's hardship more difficult. Sadly, we are all not gifted with the ability to say the right thing at the right time to help our friends.

Even if you're at a loss of comforting words, that doesn't mean you are helpless and unable to be a good friend. Instead of sitting with your hands behind your back, here are some things you can do that silently say all the right things to the friend who needs to hear it the most.

1. Randomly text a paragraph saying all your favorite things about them.

2. Handwrite a card featuring an inspirational quote or Bible verse.

3. Take the time to watch their favorite television show or movie and discuss it with them in order to get their mind on something new. 

4. Email a link to a blog post that discusses similar things they are going through.

5. Surprise them with their favorite candy.

6. Tag them in funny videos on Facebook or Twitter.

7. Pick up the tab at lunch.

8. Bring them their favorite coffee in the morning.

9. Invite them over for a relaxing night in.

10. Offer to simply be there for them and listen to what's going on.

11. Provide a good hug.

12. Bake them some cookies or offer them to come over and bake with you.

13. Drive them to a local animal shelter to volunteer and play with puppies.

14. Have a movie night with a blanket fort.

15. Take a walk in the city together to talk about everything going on.

16. Clean their dishes for them or any little domestic chores to make their life easier.

17. Plan a dinner with all of your friends at their favorite restaurant.

18. Offer to take something off of their plate and do it for them. For example: Get their car washed or pick up their dry cleaning.

19. Make sure they're getting out of the house and offer to simply take them for a drive or to the grocery store. 

20. Bring them flowers.

21. Remind them how much God loves them.

22. Bring over chocolates.

23. Be patient with them and understand they may not feel like themselves to do things you usually do together.

24. Remind them how much they are loved and how they are not alone.

25. Finally, simply be there for them whenever they may need you and listen to what they may really need during this difficult time. 

Photo Credit: Unsplash