The 13 Struggles Of Being An Art Major

The 13 Struggles Of Being An Art Major

It's not like high school art class.

2134
The 13 Struggles Of Being An Art Major
Stanislav

We often go unnoticed and make up a small percentage of the population on most college campuses. People poke fun at us and wish their major was as easy as ours. Little do they know, they're wishing on the wrong star. It seems all cool and easy on the surface. But in reality, a major in any emphasis area is no easier than one in biochemistry. If you're not an art major, you may be doubting that. But it's the truth. This list of struggles may mean nothing to you if you've never entered the unique and awesome world that is an art major's world.

1. Endless supply lists

Where students in other majors look forward to syllabus day, art majors dread it. It’s the day when we find out how much of that hard- earned money we’re going to have to drop on supplies within the next week or so. As your professor goes through each item, you can feel your bank account decreasing. If you’re lucky, you’ll have enough left for some groceries. Even after you have initial supplies, you’ll have to buy more throughout the semester. But on the bright side, syllabus day will be the one day you get out of your studio classes early.

2. Carrying said supplies to class

We accumulate a lot of stuff and we have to cart it to class. We sometimes look like we’re going on a hike for a few days as we fumble and stumble over all our stuff. Those big portfolios and drawing boards are a devil in the wind, too. It’s hard to stay grounded as you walk. If you’re in graphic design, you’ll have it easy. Your laptop is all you’ll really need. The bright side is textbooks are rarely required.

3. Carrying said supplies in the rain

As if carrying them on a sunny day wasn’t bad enough, Mother Nature throws in a monkey wrench and makes it rain. You'll probably consider wrapping your materials in your rain jacket and showing up to class soaking wet. If you don’t have a decent size portfolio or a locker for your stuff, you may be out of luck. Hopefully, you can find a way to work with wet paper or find a classmate that’s kind enough to share some paper. Or you could always use an umbrella.

4. Insanely long classes

Hurray for studio classes! We understand why the classes are so long because we get guidance and practice with our skills. But we always dread going to each one for the allotted time. Those 8 a.m. studio classes are the worst. You have to get up early and be ready to create by that point. Unless you’re a morning person, that’s going to be a challenge. It's even more fun when you stay up all night working on assignments for the class only to take a nap before going to class.

5. Feeling like you know nothing

You get assigned a problem in color theory and spend hours upon hours matching sheets of paper to solve the problem. You find a solution that looks awesome and do a small victory dance. However, when you put it up for critique in class, your professor looks at it and says, “nope,” or “you’re in the ball park.” All that hard work and time and you’re nowhere close. Still. You’ll feel so lost, confused, and discouraged you won’t know what to do next.

6. Color Theory

This is the class every art major dreads. It’s fascinating and eye- opening. But it will make you want to rip your hair out. The amount of time and different colored paper you will go through in this class is ridiculous. Hours will be spent sitting on the floor or at a desk shuffling different colors to get that perfect interaction between colors. The worst thing is having to take it twice if you don't get it the first time around.

7. Taking forever to do homework

For most college kids, doing homework takes an hour, maybe two, max. For art majors, our homework could take us twice as long, maybe four times as long if you work slow like me. Friends will ask you to go out with them. But you’ll have to turn them down so you can finish your homework. I know I’ve stayed up well into the wee hours of the night slaving over drawings, paintings, and the like.

8. Portfolios

While this is a great alternative to having exams every so often, it's its own special pain in the butt, especially if your professor has a list of a thousand requirements. If you miss class on a regular basis, you'll have lots of catching up to do the night before. If you keep up with assignments, you'll spend hours debating whether or not to re-do a certain piece to give your portfolio that extra sparkle.

9. Constantly doubting yourself

Maybe it's just me but I always find myself wondering if I'm in the right major and if I'm cut out for this field. Maybe all art majors feel that way, I don't know. Being an art major is a risky thing to do but as long as you're crazy and determined enough to keep at it, it'll be worth it.

10. Always getting B's

Getting an A in a studio class is like winning a trophy. It's not likely to happen to you unless you're a child prodigy that does perfect work all the time. Even then you may have your dreams crushed. Based on your syllabus's grading scale, an A stands for work of the highest quality, masterful work, something that's nearly perfect. Getting B's isn't that bad, though; it helps you keep a level head and pushes you to keep working towards an A.

11. "What do you plan to do after college?"

Whoop there it is! Personally one of the questions I despise and find hard not to answer in an overly sassy way. For some reason, it shocks people that there are tons of job opportunities for art majors. Just because we're bold enough to take the "non-traditional" path doesn't mean we'll be starving on the streets. The answer is plain and simple, "I'm going to find a job." It may take a minute but we usually have other talents that can land us a temporary job. Plus, we can always sell art on the side. There's no telling where that will lead.

12. Wondering how in the h*** you're going to make your place in the art world.

In a world where it seems everybody has done everything, it's a bit overwhelming to try to figure out how you're going to make your mark on the world and do something new. Studying masters like Rembrandt, Raphael, Vermeer, and others makes you feel kind of worthless. I know I find myself wondering how I'll ever being able to produce anything remotely close to their work. That's when you just have to settle for doing your thing and forgetting the haters.

13. The messes you make

Art is a messy thing, especially if you're a messy person. You'll look down at your hands and not be able to see your skin for all the paint, charcoal, or whatever else on your hands. Sometimes you'll walk to your next class with random smudges all over you from trying to itch a scratch or brush your hair out of your face. So much for having nice, clean clothes. But if you don't get your hands dirty, did you really do anything?