12 Reasons Why I Look Up To The 12th Doctor

Grumpy isn't always a bad thing

21
YouTube

Peter Capaldi's version of the Doctor in the long-running show "Doctor Who" might be a little grumpy for some, but he's a character that I've been increasingly been able to look up to as an adult.

Here are 12 reasons why I consider this dark rendition of the Doctor to be somewhat of a role model to me.

12. Never Cruel nor Cowardly

Capaldi's version of the Doctor is flawed, and part of the joy of watching him is that he acknowledges his flaws.

However, for the most part, his flaws never get the better of him; he's never cruel, and he doesn't back away when the world really needs him. He's angry sure, but this doesn't stop him from enjoying life, or becoming a villain.

11. Never Give Up, Never Give In

The ending to "Heavan Sent" really connected with me, in which the Doctor goes through hell for trillions of years, "burning the old me to make a new one." At times, my own life feels like this, and this episode has gotten me by some hard times.

However, despite it all, the Doctor powered through it, and came out on the other side.

10. His Sense of Humor

Capaldi's rendition of the character isn't all dark, he has a funny side, and a sophisticated funny side at that.

It's informed, often dry and sarcastic, which just works. It's also similar to my own sense of humor, which made him very relate-able to me.

9. His Intuition

This has always been a strong characteristic of the Doctor, but Capaldi carried this a step further by integrating it into his wit. That, and it became key to his "survival" in the episode "Heaven Sent," in which he carries the entire episode. Nevertheless, it is admirable, and a trait that is worthy to strive towards.

8. He Can See the Big Picture

In life, it's easy to get lost in minute details that don't matter; to get lost in the attention-grabbing headlines of death and destruction in the world.

The Doctor is well aware of the bad, but he never loses sight of the bigger picture of the universe, and the beauty it can hold.

7. He Doesn't Need to Impress Anyone

Unlike Matt Smith and David Tennant's version of the Doctor, Capaldi doesn't seek the need to impress and dazzle anyone.

Sure, it's inevitable that he does so with a time machine and sonic screwdriver, but he doesn't feel the need to show off for the most part. He knows who he is and what he's capable of, and if anyone doubts him:

6. His Reputation Precedes Him

The Doctor defeated Lord President Rassilon in the series 9 finale without spilling any blood. His reputation after the 50th Anniversary Special was so great that no one wanted to mess with him, as the man who won the Time War.

Though this is an unrealistic goal to try to obtain in real life, the prospect of having a reputation that renown is an attractive one, and is something you can only get through hard work.

5. He's Not Afraid to Have Fun

Contrary to popular belief, the 12th Doctor is not all doom and gloom. He has a time machine after all.

A great example of the 12th Doctor having fun is the series 8 episode "Robots of Sherwood" in which he partakes in some friendly competition with Robin Hood. Once series 9 came around, he loosened up some more, treating us all to his guitar skills.

4. He's True to His Friends

As you get older, you learn who your real friends are. Very few people have the integrity or decency to keep a friendship going if it inconveniences them.

Capaldi's Doctor is truer than true. One scene from series 8 comes to mind, in which he states to companion Clara "Do you really think I care so little for you that betraying me would make a difference?"

3. He's Not Afraid to Do What's Right

Even before series 8 premiered, Capaldi's Doctor had a reputation for being angry, a result of his "angry eyebrows." When given reason, he's able to use his anger to do great good; to channel it to do what's right.

There is plenty to be angry about in the world, but to use your discontent to actually do something is admirable, and does a whole lot more good than writing an egregious comment or facebook post on the internet.

2. He Gives People and Aliens a Chance

It's so common for people to lash out at something based on their gut reaction to it, which can close a lot of doors in life. That person that doesn't fit in might have a few things to offer to the table if you give them a chance.

Unlike most people, the Doctor does not start a fight unless he knows it is the absolutely right thing to do, and he explores all options. He doesn't alienate others, despite being an alien himself.

1. War is the Last Option

Capaldi's Doctor is very aware of how his actions affect others, and he knows the horrors of war firsthand. It's so easy to be disconnected to the conflicts our government is perpetuating, abroad and at home, but these things affect real people in real ways. We've become trigger-friendly in America and its time for this to stop.

This can also be applied to how we treat people online and in real life. I've seen so many minor disagreements escalate into things that ruin relationships and dissolve friendships. The internet is especially prone to this, as few people hold their online conversations to a high standard.

Remember, "When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill until everybody does what they would always have to do from the very beginning-- Sit down and talk!!!"

Bonus: His Theme

Although this is little more than representative of the character and tone of the narrative, I find the 12th Doctor's theme to be oddly inspiring in it's own right. Like the 12th Doctor himself, it is intense but very well directed. It's dramatic, but not overly dark. It has this get-things-done vibe that has pushed me to get stuff done. It might not be as whimsical as 11's, but it is great nonetheless.

It is a theme that has very much so become a part of my life.