12 Reasons Why Freemasonry is Awesome

12 Reasons Why Freemasonry is Awesome

Check out why the original brotherhood is the best brotherhood!

511
12 Reasons Why Freemasonry is Awesome

Freemasonry: it's the world's oldest, largest social fraternity. Many great men have been members of the "lodge" - presidents, astronauts, movie stars, and many more. My college had, at one time in it's history, expelled young men and women for being members or being affiliated with the organization, but has since revoked that -- obviously, or else I wouldn't be at this wonderful place. Perhaps that policy was enacted out of fear - No, we aren't a part of the New World Order or the Illuminati - but public opinion of the Masons has increased over the last half a century or so.

In Kentucky, only 4% of the membership of the Order is from the ages of 18 - 25, but hopefully this article will show you why I'm proud to be among this band of "brothers". So sit back, relax, and get ready to find out "12 Reasons Why Freemasonry is Awesome".

12. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't just men!

Not many people are aware, but an appendant body of the Masonic Order is the Order of the Eastern Star. It is the largest social order to which men and women can belong in the world.

11. Masonry has been around for quite a while.

Organized Masonry was established in 1717 in London, England with the creation of the United Grand Lodge of England.

10. There are a number of famous Freemasons!

George Washington, Ben Franklin, Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin, John Wayne, Colonel Sanders, Harry Houdini,cy. Wolfgang A. Mozart, and Douglas MacArthur just to name a few!

9. Charity is a huge part of our work!

The Freemasons of North America contribute over $2,000,000 per day to charitable causes.

8. We strive to make good men better!

The lessons that are taught in the Masonic Tradition profess self-improvement and foster a sense of community and brotherly love.

7. It has a very rich history!

Don't believe me? Google laying of the cornerstone of the Capitol Building in Washington, D.C. and find some more pictures and documents like this one.

6. These guys!

You've probably seen them driving tiny cars around parades, or a circus in your area. But the Shriners operate the largest networks of hospitals for burned and orthopaedically impaired children in the country, and there is never a fee for treatment.

5. It has been a place that men can come to fellowship and set aside political and religious differences.

Politics and religion are not allowed to be spoken of in the lodge -- another argument against the whole "New World Order" conspiracy.

4. You always have a friend.

I could go to any country on the globe and find a "brother" and friend somewhere. There are Masonic lodges everywhere in the world!

3. It brings together men from all different walks of life.

Normally, the doctor or the lawyer would not have much to do with the plumber or the miner, but not in the Lodge! Masonry teaches that we should approach every member of the human family with respect and with a manner of equality.

2. We can trace our roots back to the Knights Templar.

How cool is that?!?!? I mean we don't exactly go out to fight for the Holy Land anymore, but it's a cool bit of history. If you are very interested in that, you can read up on the York Rite of Freemasonry.

1. It is quite possibly one of the best decisions you will ever make.

Masonry may seem like a chore at first sometimes. But it soon becomes a way of life! It's like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it! The possibilities are endless and the reward gets bigger every day.

I'd like to take a moment here to thank Worshipful Brother Robert "Bobby" Griggs - Chairman of the Committee on Masonic Scholars for the Grand Lodge of Kentucky, Worshipful Brother George Pennington - Committee on Masonic Education, and my mentor, Worshipful Brother Johnny Joe Combs as well as my dad, Brother Tony Lewis, for their help on this article.

If you think you may be interested in becoming a member, you can begin by contacting a Lodge or speaking to a Mason!