12 Reasons to Celebrate on Jan 8

12 Reasons to Celebrate on Jan 8

Thank ya, thank ya very much.

61
12 Reasons to Celebrate on Jan 8
Youtube

Okay, so there are plenty of days to a year. 365, to be exact. And there's some pretty great days shuffled in there, like Christmas and Thanksgiving and the first day of summer. However, while it seems random, January 8 may just be up there at the top of the list with some of the best. You don't agree? Need some reasons why you should celebrate too? Take a look at some of the following reasons:

1. It tends to snow on January 8.

While it's not too fun to drive on white roads, this can often be a blessing. Snow's pretty, it's fun to play in, and, in some cases, it can get you out of school!

2. It's Elvis Presley's Birthday!

Yep, this day gave birth to the King of Rock.

3. It's Stephen Hawking's Birthday!

Yep, this day gave birth to the man who gave birth to a whole bunch of ground-breaking scientific theories.

4. It's David Bowie's Birthday!

While we recently said goodbye to this great, it's nice to celebrate the talents and achievements of this singer, songwriter, and actor.

5. On Jan. 8, 1790, George Washington delivered the first Presidential State of the Union address in New York City.

The first formal speech for the first formal president. It's a pretty big thing. And it happened on Jan. 8.

6. Led by Andrew Jackson, American troops secured a victory over the British at the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812 on Jan. 8, 1815.

This war may be remembered as the one where the White House was burned. However, the Battle of New Orleans was a huge victory for the U.S. Oh, and hey, it was on Jan. 8.

7. Jan. 8, 1835 was the only time the U.S. national debt was zero.

I honestly never even knew it had ever not been negative. So I'd say that's pretty cool.

8. It's the eighth day of the year!

It's still a pretty new year! You can still celebrate! You can still try to stick to your New Year's resolutions!

9. No school?

Okay, so this will at least apply to some people. Many college kids haven't returned to school yet. The date often falls on a snow day. If all else fails, Jan. 8 falls on a Sunday this year, so definitely no school!

10. Chuy's is a super cool place on Jan. 8.

Each year, the restaurant chain Chuy's hosts a "birthday bash" for Elvis Presley on Jan. 8. Guests dressed as Elvis or his wife, Priscilla, get a free entree, guests can get discounts on the Elvis-inspired dishes, and t-shirts are available at the door.

11. It's a part of the Capricorn club.

Capricorns are pretty cool, no lie. Just take for example any of the guys listed above, or perhaps Lebron James, Michelle Obama, Jim Carrey, Martin Luther King Jr., Betty White, Muhammad Ali, and 2/5 of One Direction.

12. Last but certainly not least, IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!

Not to say that the rest of this list was a shameless plug to glorify my own day of birth, but come on, you gotta admit: it's at least a kind of cool day. So whether you decide to celebrate or not, don't take the day (or any day for that matter) for granted. You can honestly find a reason to celebrate in anything if you just look closely enough.