12 Questions Every Stonehill College Freshman Asks Themself

We were all freshmen once.

776

Stonehill College is comparable in size to some high schools. With roughly 2,500 students on a walkable, suburban campus; it's easy to navigate. But arriving on any college campus is a daunting experience for all college freshmen, no matter how manicured the brick pathways may be. Here are 12 common questions asked by Stonehill freshmen:

1. What's a "spoco"?

At Stonehill, we have a long list of lingo for the buildings that make up our pristine campus. However, this urban dictionary of sorts isn't given out at orientation (someone tell a peer mentor to get on that!) During your first week at school you'll likely wonder why everyone gives weird looks when you ask where the Colonial and commonwealth courts, commons A and B, or the college center is. And you've made a huge mistake telling someone you live in the holy cross center.

2. How many times will I play an icebreaker?

Ah, orientation. How can something so exciting, so anticipated, turn to monotony so fast? Don't get the wrong idea, orientation is a vital and fun part of the freshman year experience. But there's only so many times until reciting your name, hometown, res hall, and major becomes the first thing out of your mouth when you meet someone new.

3. How does my PM have this much energy?

Stonehill orientation is facilitated by a wonderful, bleeding-purple, decorating-binder, definition of running on Dunkin' clan of students. At all hours of the day, they never lack the enthusiasm needed to get even the most reluctant freshman begrudgingly involved in a heart-to-heart moment. You might not comprehend their complete and utter devotion to it all, but let's be real, without our peer mentors orientation would've been a long, boring stretch of meeting after meeting. And chances are, you'll be taking over for them next year. Once you make your home here on campus, you'll want to shout your love of The Hill from the rooftop — or to a bunch of high school seniors from a turf field.

4. Why wasn't Vera Bradley on the required materials list?

Sorry boys, but us girls do make up 60 percent of campus so this one is for us. There's no better way to approach your building's access pad than by smacking your Vera wristlet against the surface. But, as a freshman you probably struggled with that whole "lanyard around the neck" deal. If the lanyard is Vera, maybe people will let it slide.
  5. Why is everyone so hyped about bingo?

Seriously though, bingo? Did I enroll in college or a nursing home?
    Patience, young grasshopper. When you see what's up for grabs for a bingo champ — Red Sox tickets, Beats headphones, flat screens — you'll understand why this a must even on a Saturday night. (And why everyone will hate you as you claim your prize).

6. What's for dinner?

Your Mom might have been crying as she dropped you off on move-in day but, this is a question she will love to never hear again. It's one of those changes from home to college that doesn't jump out at you right away but takes you by surprise. Eventually you get the hang of getting food on your own and you'll be memorizing the menu from the Stonehill app like it counts for a sixth class. You'll know the ins and outs of brunch and when to tell if pastabilities is worth the wait (trick question- it always is).
  7. Will my laundry really get tabled?

Another deceivingly small change from home to college is laundry. You will get tabled. Stay on top of your clothes! Time is precious, everyone is in a hurry, and no one cares if you lose a sock or 20 in the process.

8. Do I raise my hand in class? What if I have to go to the bathroom?

Let's be honest here, the upperclassmen in your classes cannot wait until you make this mistake. They're relishing in the moment because they probably made the same faux pas their own freshman year. It's not high school; just get up and go to the bathroom.
  9. Are the sprinklers on 24/7?

A classic Stonehill inside joke stemming from a honest and logical question: why are the sprinklers on, even when it's raining? People love to joke that most of the near $60k it costs to go here is spent on lawn maintenance, but even if it is, so what. We love every single emerald green blade. Keep doing you, Lady Donahue.

10. Will my roommate ever leave?

If you had a room to yourself for the greater part of your life, sharing a small space with a complete stranger is a huge change! It can be weird having someone else there when you just wanna call your mom, cry over your bad day, or pig out on late-night food without fear of being judged.

11. Will my meal plan really last me a semester?

I'll give it to you Sodexo, I can't live without weekend brunch or the cupcake of the week, but we could all do without the struggles of an overpriced a-la-carte meal plan. If you freshmen figure out a way to have hundreds of dollars left on your Hill card come finals week, hook a skyhawk up.

12. Should I hold the door open for this person?

The answer is always yes! This is Stonehill. We hold the doors open for people, no matter how far away they might be. Welcome to the family.