12 Questions For A Bartender Who Is Under 21

Bartenders often go unappreciated, so be sure to tip them well!

1431
littleladyeats.com

Bartenders are often romanticized in movies and TV shows but go unappreciated in the real world. To get a better understanding of what bartending is like, I decided to interview Brandon, who has been a bartender for a little over one year. While the legal drinking age is 21, bartenders only have to be 18 in order to mix and serve drinks. I sat down with Brandon, who started his training at 17 so he could get his gig at 18, and asked him questions that customers typically don't ask the hardworking (and patient!) people serving their drinks.

What’s the process like to become a bartender?

Lots of memorization. If you can’t memorize the drinks and very basic stuff, you’re gonna be looking it up and can’t serve the customers in a timely manner—a.k.a. no tips. It’s a lot of stocking, making sure everything’s set up for the night. And you have to get your patience right—you have a lot of drunk dudes screaming at you.

You only have to be 18 to be a bartender, but the legal drinking age is 21. What’s it like to be underage and serving alcohol?

It’s great, because when you’re sober you get to watch all the crazy stuff drunk people do through sober eyes.

What does a typical shift look like?

The bar is open from 9 pm to 3 a.m. on busy nights. I stay after up till an hour and a half if it’s a really messy night and I have to clean up everything: broken glass, stuff like that. On Saturdays I work from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., then take my power nap, and then go back from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.

How did you get involved in bartending?

The owner was from Florida and moved up to Schenectady. He’s my uncle’s brother-in-law and owns the restaurant.

What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever seen while working?

A drunk guy spit in my face because he didn’t get his drink in a timely fashion. Oh, and two Spanish women were fighting because one of them was dancing with the other’s date.

You ever break up any fights?

I’ve had to mediate disputes until the bouncers come around.

Is bartending a career you see yourself doing for a long time, or is it just something to make a couple bucks?

I would continue it until I graduated from grad school, then I would look for something more concrete.

What is something that customers do at bars that pisses the bartenders off?

Knocking on the bar. Waving money in my face. Ordering something, then telling me you didn’t order it. Slurring your order, like if you’re that drunk, I’m cutting you off. And then this is a personal thing, but when drunk guys go after girls. Oh, and when customers come behind the counter.

Best part of being a bartender?

The nightlife. The ability to tell everyone that I know how to make Bahama Mamas. And all the connections that I’ve made.

Favorite drink to make?

Probably something I’ve made up to be honest. My favorite [existing] drink to make is probably liquid marijuana (Captain Morgan, Coconut Malibu, Blue Curaçao, Midori, melon liqueur, and pineapple juice).

Least favorite drink to make?

Probably Blue Hawaiians because it’s so sweet that people expect it to be stronger, but it’s literally all juice, flavoring, and a little bit of rum.

Greatest pick-up line you’ve ever witnessed on the job?

This girl came up to me and said, “How old are you?” and I said, “18,” and she said, “Alright if you’re 18, I'm 18.” It gave me a chuckle.