12 Pet Peeves Every Odyssey Writer Has

12 Pet Peeves Every Odyssey Writer Has

"Wait, you write for Odyssey?"

18
12 Pet Peeves Every Odyssey Writer Has
theodysseyonline.com

The last two years of writing for Odyssey have been really awesome. I've had some cool opportunities to cover difference topics in the news, different activities within the community, and really anything going on at all in the world. I've been at liberty to speak about whatever comes to mind, and it has been a great way to get involved, especially within my major. But while writing for Odyssey has been a really wonderful outlet, our writers do have a lot of interesting and comical complaints and pet peeves that come with writing for Odyssey. So here are some funny pet peeves that every Odyssey writer has experienced:

1. Writing during the holidays or over the summer

The responsibility of being a writer for Odyssey never ends, even on Christmas and over the summer. So while you get to kick back and relax, I'm most likely writing another listicle.

2. Coming up with new and clever ideas every week

I know that we make being incredibly witty and funny look easy, but trust me, it can get difficult. I have been writing for Odyssey for over two years now, which means I've pulled a little over 104 clever articles out of thin air. You're welcome.

3. And when you don't come up with something clever, you write a terrible article that you want absolutely no one to read

Sometimes I don't even share my articles because I hate them. No one should have to read my garbage.

4. When someone tells you that they read your "blog"

For goodness sakes, Odyssey is not a blog.

5. Having to explain what exactly Odyssey is

I usually just describe it to people as a college-based Buzzfeed. But it is so big now, so explaining it is beyond me.

6. People who argue against you or try to correct you on the article you wrote

Let me impart my wisdom upon you in peace. The number of middle-aged moms that have tried to argue against my articles is unreal. I get it, Debbie; you don't agree.

7. Realizing your mom's best friend from church read the article about your 21st Birthday experience because she passive aggressively said she reads all your articles the last time you saw her

Or that your aunt read the article you wrote about your family not bringing up grades, significant others, or your major during the holidays and she listened. Everyone can see your articles and sometimes that alone is weird.

8. When your friends ask if you get paid to write

The answer is no, we don't.

9. Writing an amazing article that you poured your heart and soul into and then only getting 10 shares

Or worse, you hated your article and it goes viral leaving you in a puddle of your own tears and embarrassment.

10. When everyone and their mother likes your article on Facebook but no one actually shares it

If you liked it so much, you could have shared it, Libby.

11. Every once in a while, your mom will forget to share your article and you begin to wonder if she is even proud of you at all

Sometimes even our No. 1 fans, a.k.a. Mom and Dad, get bored of reading our articles. We get it, but don't forget again. We need you.

12. When you ask if your friends read your article and they say, "Wait, you write for Odyssey...?"

It's fine.

While it can sometimes get a little crazy writing for Odyssey, we all love the opportunity to grow and learn as writers and creators. It is, and has always been, a great way to challenge ourselves and create content to inform and entertain others.