12 Lesser-Known Musical Artists That Everyone Should Listen To

Because quality music is a key ingredient in the recipe for getting yourself through finals week.

2273
blogspot.com

I am definitely not a music connoisseur, but I do love music, and I'm listening to it pretty much 24/7. I love sharing my favorite music with my friends and having them share their own favorite songs with me. As college students, music can be a total lifesaver in our stressful day to day schedule. Whether it be for working out, walking to class, jamming in the car, getting ready in the morning, choreographing, studying, or de-stressing in the evening, music is definitely a huge part of my life. So, I thought for this week's article that I would detail some of my absolute favorite lesser-known musical artists for anyone that is looking for new music to listen to, especially with finals week coming up.

1. James Vincent McMorrow

I honestly cannot stress enough how influential James Vincent McMorrow's music has been on me. As a dancer and choreographer, his music always inspires me to create and helps me work through whatever is going on in my life. His first album is stunningly beautiful, and it is called "Early in the Morning." My favorite album is his second, called "Post Tropical." He also just came out with another amazing album called "We Move." I very highly suggest listening to all three.

2. PVRIS

One of my friends gave me a mixtape a couple of years ago that included the song "St. Patrick" by "PVRIS" and introduced me to what is now one of my favorite bands. I actually choreographed to their song "Empty" this past semester to create a piece about eating disorders in young women for the dance company showcase at my school. I would definitely recommend listening to the deluxe version of their album "White Noise," as well as their "Acoustic" EP from a couple of years ago.

3. Young the Giant

I honestly don't even know where to start with this band. They have the perfect mix of really good lyrics combined with the winding indie guitar that makes their music unforgettable. Check out all three of their albums, entitled "Young the Giant," "Mind Over Matter," and "Home of the Strange." My personal favorite is a song from their first album, called "Apartment."

4. Vinyl Theatre

Their songs "The Rhythm of Night," "Tokyo," and "Gold," are incredible. Go listen to them. Trust me, you will thank me later.

5. The Barr Brothers

A couple of years ago, a Barr Brothers song randomly came up on my Spotify and I've been in love with their music ever since. They have really folky feel-good vibes, especially in the songs "Come In the Water" and "Even the Darkness Has Arms."

6. Bear Hands

I am so, so, SO in love with literally all of their music I cannot even begin to explain it. Do yourself a favor and listen to "Agora," "Giants," "2 AM," and actually just everything they've ever released because I promise you its all fantastic.

7. CHVRCHES

When I first heard the CHVRCHES song "Leave a Trace," I listened to it on repeat for probably three weeks straight. Everything this band puts out is so witty and catchy, it's impossible not to love them.

8. Coasts

Coasts is probably one of my all-time favorite bands. I've been following them for a little over two years now (ever since their incredible song "Oceans" played on the TV show "Red Band Society") and it's been so exciting to see how they've grown and developed their music over that time period. They recently came out with their debut self-titled album, and my favorite song from it is called "As Long I Need You." I would also recommend listening to some of the music from their earlier EP's, especially the song "Come a Little Closer" from their 2013 "Stay (Remixes)" EP.

9. Oh Wonder

If you spend any significant amount of time on YouTube, then this artist probably isn't new to you, but I had to mention them because the music they make is utterly gorgeous. The blending of Josephine Vander Gucht and Anthony West's voices is incredibly beautiful and, if you have yet to witness it, you should definitely look up the song "Livewire" from their debut album "Oh Wonder" when you get the chance.

10. Lissie

Lissie has been an amazing inspiration to me as a dancer and choreographer over the years. You might remember her rendition of "Go Your Own Way" from the preview for the 2013 Nicholas Sparks-inspired movie "Safe Haven." My favorite Lissie song is called "Everywhere I Go" from her 2010 debut album "Catching a Tiger," although I also have a soft spot for "They All Want You" from her 2014 album "Back to Forever." She came out with an album in 2016 called "My Wild West" and, although I haven't had time to listen to the full album yet, what I've heard of it has set my expectations very high.

11. Daughter

I've honestly liked everything I've ever heard from Daughter, but my favorite song by them is definitely "Medicine" from their 2012 "The Wild Youth" EP.

12. Parade of Lights

I love their 2014 album "Golden," specifically the song "The Island," which is genuinely, in my opinion, one of the most amazingly feel good songs of all-time (plus it's great to blast in the car).