11 Struggles All Lab Partners Go Through

When life gives you lab procedures, make combustion reactions! (I think that's how it goes)

369
Make Me Feed

Anyone in a science-related major has experienced lab hunger, lab cluelessness, and lab accidents at least once. The only positive factor that all of these unfortunate events share is that they usually occur with at least one other lab partner nearby who is just as frustrated as you are. So don't fret my fellow science major (or any other major for that matter)! We've all been through these lab-tastrophes:

1. Getting struck with the hunger of five grown men the middle of lab

As soon as lab beings, the sudden need for food seems to as well. "Who's turn is it to buy food for our lab this week again?" But this illegal procedure must be hidden under the lab table, of course.

2. Reading the procedure wrong

You look around to see what others are doing because you are hopelessly lost, or at least try to make sense of what your professor is explaining to the group across the room. The words that usually follow this are, “Um...guys, this doesn't look like what they are getting. Let's start over."

3. Not using the proper waste receptacles

Accidently throwing away contaminated paper towels in the regular garbage can is most definitely frowned upon.

4. Crashing...and burning

Crash goes the glass flask; burn goes the entire lab. Alright, I'm just kidding about the latter (sorta).

5. Becoming super competitive

Why not make it a race with the other lab groups? What if we get bonus points on our next exam if we finish first? Reality check: Gaining bonus points in the lab is like wishing for snow on a humid summer day.

6. Trying to make every measurement PERFECT

You handle measuring out the milliliter as carefully as handling a newborn child.

7. Fighting for the "cool" jobs

After an hour of being patient and observant, it's time for someone else to use the micropipette. Possibly me? Pick me, please!

8. Fighting to focus the microscope

The arguments over control of the microscope range from “Listen, I’ve had a microscope since I was eight" to “But I watch more Grey's Anatomy than you!" What a struggle.

9. Crying when your lab partner bails

You either cry or hope that, in their place, you get the lab partner that acts like a senior lab technician. You pray that they don't skip class as well. We need your skills, oh majestic creature!

10. Assigning one lab partner to term duty

"What is effusion again, and how does one do liquid chromatography?"

11. Walking out of the lab like you just finished running a 10k

With your head held high and your shoulders back, you walk out of lab with an "I'm ready to be a doctor" attitude.