12 Disney Films That Deserve A Little More Appreciation

There's more to Disney than just the princesses and these are just a few that didn't make it into that spotlight.

113
Disney Wikia

While Disney has produced many, many movies, some are better known than others. The popular ones overtake the smaller ones, stealing the limelight, leaving the little movies to collect dust on your movie shelf. However, these are the ones that can end up becoming your favorites, because they honestly still have great plot lines and dynamic characters. These Disney films are just a few in the "underrated" bunch that I feel should be more appreciated.

1. "Atlantis: The Lost Empire"

A personal favorite...but what's not to love? The movie includes a bunch of unique individuals to make an awesome exploration team as well as a geeky, intuitive linguist male lead with a strong female lead who can kick butt!!

2. "Meet The Robinsons"

Another great "underrated" film I love dearly. The family dynamic and adventurous time travel make this great.

3. Brother Bear

This movie just likes to mess with my feelings via animals. The family relationships in this movie are touching and the characters give this movie that extra kick.

4. A Bug's Life

Talking bugs? Seems like a bad idea IRL, but this movie is a great classic to watch. The variety in character personalities and types is a nice touch.

5. "The Aristocats"

I love this movie. This was definitely one of my favorite movies (outside of the princess ones) when I was younger. Who doesn't love cats and kittens that talk?? Plus we all know we're a little like Marie – I know she's my spirit animal.

6. Oliver & Company

The songs in this movie always get me. I really like that this movie has friendships between your typical "animal enemies" a cat & dogs. Overall it's just wonderful!

7. Tomorrowland

For some reason, this movie didn't do so well and I don't know why. I really enjoyed this film and I love that it ties in with Disneyland history and the future. Not only is it enjoyable, but it teaches a great lesson too.

8. Enchanted

Remember that movie that went between animation and live-action? Yeah, that's this movie. I believe this was one of Disney's first "princess-y" live-action films. There is nice character development in this, especially for Giselle, our leading lady.

9. The Great Mouse Detective

It's like Sherlock Holmes, but with mice. What's not to love? Sherlock Holmes anything is never a bad idea.

10. Chicken Little

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! I remember this ole thing. I actually wasn't 100% sure it was Disney, but it is, and it definitely makes the cut of underrated even though it's pretty memorable and funny.

11. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Ahhh! I love Quasimodo with his heart of gold and belief in good people. He's a great character and the songs in this movie are phenomenal!!

12. Tarzan

And last, but not least Tarzan. While a lot of people my age and older might better remember this, I feel that nowadays everybody knows "Tarzan". When I say this I think they just know about him and not so much the movie.

Phil Collins killed this soundtrack (he's basically the entirety of it) too. I love Tarzan and I feel that he, like the rest of this list deserve to be a little more appreciated. Well, at least as much as the princesses.