12 Disney Channel Original Movies You Should Watch During the Memorial Weekend Marathon
Start writing a post
Entertainment

Gather some popcorn, sit down and get comfortable in front of your television screen: it's time to roll down memory lane.

E Online

Unless you have been living under a rock, you must know about the epic movie marathon happening on Disney Channel this weekend. If you already knew, great! If you did not, well don't worry and read on!

Back in April, Disney Channel revealed they will air 100 classic Disney Original Movies over Memorial Day Weekend in celebration of Adventures in Babysitting (June 24th), their 100th original movie. Yes, for four days you will experience a tidal wave of childhood nostalgia.

This is probably you at the moment:

Now that you know about the once-in-a-lifetime movie marathon, here is my list of the best Disney Channel Original Movies you should watch:

1. Kim Possible Movie: So the Drama (May 27 at 10 a.m. ET)

Photo Credit: Disney Channel

Growing up, we always aspired to be like Kim Possible. I mean, who else can balance being a crime-fighter that defends the world and a high school captain cheerleader? However, even Kim Possible has a weakness (hint: it has to do with romantic relationships) and Dr. Drakken — ever so obsessed with world domination like every super villain — uses this to his advantage. So much drama for the Kim Possible team!

2. High School Musical 2 (May 27 at 8 p.m. ET)

It's a High School Musical movie with catchy songs set in the summer; what else can I say? Our Wildcats are back, working for the Evans family's country club (AKA Sharpay's kingdom) and Troy dealing with teenage issues such as paying for college, friendships and his relationship with Gabriela. But everything turns out OK for our Wildcats, and eventually ends with them singing "All for One." Even Miley Cyrus appears!

See:

3. The Cheetah Girls 2 (May 27 at 9:55 p.m. ET)

Photo Credit: Disney Channel

Our favorite Cheetah Girls decide to pursue their dreams of pop super-stardom and perform in an international musical festival in Spain. Although these amigas experience issues that test their friendship, they overcome these obstacles, stay together and strut down the Barcelona streets filled with Cheetah girl confidence.

4. The Proud Family Movie (May 28 at 8:06 a.m. ET)

Penny and her family are lured on an all expense paid vacation, however, they are captured by a mad scientist who develops evil peanut clones for world domination (again, super villain wants to take over the world). Moral of the story: if something is too good to be true, leave it. You might get attacked by evil peanuts. But I have to admit, these little peanuts have some serious moves as seen during this hilarious dance battle:

5. Twitches (May 28 at 2:50 p.m. ET)

Twins + Witches = Twitches.

These magical twin sisters were separated at birth because an evil force called Darkness wants them dead (rude, by the way). Hidden from danger, these witches safely grow up, but it is not until their 21st birthday that they realize the sisters share the same powers. No longer afraid, they fight against Darkness because girl power, that's why.

6. The Even Stevens Movie (May 28 at 4:30 p.m. ET)

Hey it's Shia LeBeouf!

The Stevens family win an all-expense-paid trip to an island across the world, however, they are stranded and the family breaks apart. On top of that, they deal with unfriendly residents who may or may not want to kill them. Little do they know, the Stevens family are part of a live national television show because in the United States we really love to watch people experience misery (Example: Fear Factor, Survivor, etc.)

At least Shia is okay:

I believe...

7) Eddie's Million Cloud Cook-Off (May 29 at 9:35 a.m. ET)

Photo Credit: Disney Channel

14 year old Eddie Ogden is a talented baseball player, but also enjoys cooking in his spare time. Somehow convincing his friends to sign up with him in a home economics class, Eddie flourishes and enters the cook-off competition. However, both the cook-off competition and baseball final fall on the same day and Eddie must choose between the two. (Hint: Eddie follows his heart).

8. Pixel Perfect (May 29 at 1:20 a.m. ET)

Even though Samantha is talented vocally and plays the guitar, she is criticized for not being able to dance. Knowing this is holding back the band's, Zetta Bytes, success, her friend Roscoe uses his dad's holographic technology to create humanoid hologram called Loretta. The new girl is perfect: she can dance and sing and is basically everything Sam is not. However, Loretta is limited as a humanoid and struggles with her individuality. Roscoe battles with his feelings between the two girls, but ultimately realizes Sam is the one for him. (Which is good because Loretta is a humanoid...)

Fun fact: Pixel Perfect is the 50th Disney Channel Original Movie!

9. Stuck in the Suburbs (May 30 at 10 a.m. ET)

Photo Credit: Disney Channel

If my phone got switched, my chances that it would be Chris Evans' cellphone is next to impossible. A girl can dream still, OK. But hey, Brittany Aarons manages to exchange her phone with her celebrity crush pop singer Jordan Cahill, played by SNL comedian Taran Killam, and adds some needed excitement into her quiet suburban life. With the help of Natasha, the new girl Brittany's friends seem to hate, the two decide to turn Cahill's life upside down although their friendship strains due to some moral differences. By the end, they make up and Brittany gives back Cahill's cellphone like, "Sorry for screwing up your image, not sorry lol."

10. Zenon, Girl of the 21st Century (May 30 at 1:05 p.m. ET)

Photo Credit: Disney Channel

Would you live in space? In 2049, 13 year-old Zenon Kar lives with her family in an Earth-orbiting space station, but she ends up in trouble so she is punished by going to Earth. Unsurprisingly she is outcasted by the kids on Earth since they find her space-station stories and slang to be weird, but she manages to make friends in the end. At the same time she discovers that a computer virus will be used to crash the space station (horrible, yes, but at least it's not world domination).

Of course Zenon saves the day (because it's Disney, the villains never win) and we get treated with some space concert by pop singer Proto Zoa:

Not that protozoa! This Proto Zoa:

Swoon.

Here's a video to re-live this awesome concert that puts Coachella to shame:

11. Smart House (May 30 at 2:55 p.m. ET)

A house that absorbs messes through the carpet directly, makes strawberry smoothies and prepares balanced meals according to each person's diet is just about everyone's dream come true. Also, who needs a television when your walls can be the screen? Probably the only downside might be being trapped in the house by a computer software program, but that's if you decide to reprogram the system as your surrogate mother...

At least it's not world domination. Just house domination? I'm not sure.

12. High School Musical (May 30 at 4:25 p.m. ET)

Ah, the original High School Musical. The one where it gave young girls everywhere the most unrealistic expectation that they will have a duet with an attractive guy at a New Year's Eve karaoke party. Again, a girl can dream, but Gabriella Montez and Troy Bolton become our OTP (one true pairing). We also get to meet the Broadway duo, Sharpay and Ryan Evans who breathe, sweat and bleed theater, captain of the school's scholastic decathlon team (and oddly despises the basketball players and cheerleaders) Taylor McKessie and Troy's best friend/bro Chad Danforth who has an unhealthy attachment to his basketball.

See:

High School Musical taught us many lessons such as follow your heart, embrace your inner-confidence, forge your own path that is outside the status-quo and disrupt the school's computer system to delay the basketball championship and decathlon in order to help your friends out (I'm kidding, I'm kidding). But the first three are true.

That's my list, but everyone's taste and opinions are different! If you want to pull a Shia LaBeouf, and marathon all the Disney movies, in his words:

Have fun!

This article has not been reviewed by Odyssey HQ and solely reflects the ideas and opinions of the creator.
the beatles
Wikipedia Commons

For as long as I can remember, I have been listening to The Beatles. Every year, my mom would appropriately blast “Birthday” on anyone’s birthday. I knew all of the words to “Back In The U.S.S.R” by the time I was 5 (Even though I had no idea what or where the U.S.S.R was). I grew up with John, Paul, George, and Ringo instead Justin, JC, Joey, Chris and Lance (I had to google N*SYNC to remember their names). The highlight of my short life was Paul McCartney in concert twice. I’m not someone to “fangirl” but those days I fangirled hard. The music of The Beatles has gotten me through everything. Their songs have brought me more joy, peace, and comfort. I can listen to them in any situation and find what I need. Here are the best lyrics from The Beatles for every and any occasion.

Keep Reading...Show less
Being Invisible The Best Super Power

The best superpower ever? Being invisible of course. Imagine just being able to go from seen to unseen on a dime. Who wouldn't want to have the opportunity to be invisible? Superman and Batman have nothing on being invisible with their superhero abilities. Here are some things that you could do while being invisible, because being invisible can benefit your social life too.

Keep Reading...Show less
Featured

19 Lessons I'll Never Forget from Growing Up In a Small Town

There have been many lessons learned.

houses under green sky
Photo by Alev Takil on Unsplash

Small towns certainly have their pros and cons. Many people who grow up in small towns find themselves counting the days until they get to escape their roots and plant new ones in bigger, "better" places. And that's fine. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought those same thoughts before too. We all have, but they say it's important to remember where you came from. When I think about where I come from, I can't help having an overwhelming feeling of gratitude for my roots. Being from a small town has taught me so many important lessons that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

Keep Reading...Show less
​a woman sitting at a table having a coffee
nappy.co

I can't say "thank you" enough to express how grateful I am for you coming into my life. You have made such a huge impact on my life. I would not be the person I am today without you and I know that you will keep inspiring me to become an even better version of myself.

Keep Reading...Show less
Student Life

Waitlisted for a College Class? Here's What to Do!

Dealing with the inevitable realities of college life.

195436
college students waiting in a long line in the hallway
StableDiffusion

Course registration at college can be a big hassle and is almost never talked about. Classes you want to take fill up before you get a chance to register. You might change your mind about a class you want to take and must struggle to find another class to fit in the same time period. You also have to make sure no classes clash by time. Like I said, it's a big hassle.

This semester, I was waitlisted for two classes. Most people in this situation, especially first years, freak out because they don't know what to do. Here is what you should do when this happens.

Keep Reading...Show less