December Is For...
Food Drink

December Is For...

Unique babies and rare births, Sagittarius and Capricorns, and entire days dedicated to brownies, pies, and cotton candy

145
December
Kerri Caldwell

Did you know that December used to be the tenth month until the Romans added January and February? "Decem" is Latin means tenth. While this month holds many obvious facts, holidays, and celebrations, here are some others you might not be aware of.

December is the month of snacks!!

National Pie Day: December 1st

National Cookie Day: December 4th

National Cotton Candy Day: December 7th

National Brownie Day: December 8th

National Hot Cocoa Day: December 13th

National Cupcake Day: December 15th

National Candy Cane Day: December 26th

National Chocolate Candy Day: December 28th

**If you missed any of these by the time you're reading this, you get to eat TWICE the serving!!

December is the month when the most unique babies are born

September is the most popular birthday month. Which month is known for the rarest birthdays? Yup. December. Which automatically makes those born during this month unique. And with the zodiac sign of either Sagittarius or Capricorn, December babies don't have to worry about being forgotten amongst the holiday chaos. Sagittarius is known to be extroverted, optimistic, and enthusiastic, and are brave and full of confidence. Capricorn is also known to be brave, but also patient, loyal, and resistant.

Southern Solstice

Also known as the Winter Solstice, this typically falls on the 21st or 22nd and is the shortest day and longest night of the year.

National Human Rights Month

Use #NationalHumanRights and #HumanRights to post on social media. Spread the word about the importance of treating everyone around us with respect, dignity, and kindness no matter their gender, age, race, political views, or social status. National Human Rights Month is about acknowledging that people are people, plain and simple. If we take the time to learn about other cultures, we will begin to see things from their perspective and be able to better understand them as real people. This month, we are all challenged to learn more about a specific culture (or several) that may make us uneasy or hesitant. Give yourself a little history lesson and chances are, you'll change your preconceived notion about that particular group of people.

Operation Santa Paws

Operation Santa Paws is observed from December 1st to December 24th. The campaign goal of Operation Santa Paws is stock the shelters with much-needed supplies. Our four-legged friends need to feel loved during the holidays just like we do! Use #OperationSantaPaws to spread the word on social media! The more we raise awareness, the more people all over the nation will take a little time out of their day to donate. In your post, show others what you gave so they have an idea of what they can go shopping for. Without the support of kindhearted, generous people all over the United States, Operation Santa Paws wouldn't work.

Historical dates and facts of December:

December 1, 1835: Hans Christian Andersen published the first book of fairy tales

December 2, 1982: First person received a permanent artificial heart

December 10, 1901: First Nobel Prizes Awarded

December 14, 1819: Alabama was admitted as the 22nd U.S. state

December 16, 1773: The Boston Tea Party occurred when the Sons of Liberty dumped crates of tea into Boston harbor as a protest against the Tea Act

December 20, 1951: Nuclear power was first used, lighting up four light bulbs

December 30, 1953: The first color television set to go on sale

Whatever you celebrate during this month (birthdays, cookies, no school) may it be all you want it to be!