11 Words With Different Meanings To Elon Students

32

In the small town of Elon, North Carolina, one would never expect for such a mediocre place to contain such a complex vernacular. But, thanks to the population of Elon University, words that are just as average as the surrounding town take on a whole new meaning.

1. Acorn

To most: The fruit of the oak.

To Elon students: Our 2015 claim to fame when Ellen featured our favorite local sandwich shop.

2. Global

To most: An adjective describing something with worldly qualities.

To Elon students: The most desirable living location for underclassmen and only the most elite students. Some say the dorms are paved in gold. Also, have you seen the Great Hall? Weddings can be held in that place.

3. The Boobs

To most: A woman's breast.

To Elon students: The most central quad on campus, a prime location for studying, playing frisbee, or catching some Springtime rays. Or a place that is totally deserted when it is below 60 degrees on our campus.

4. High Point University

To most: A respected university.

To Elon students: Rock bottom.

5. Root

To most: The part of a plant that attaches it to the ground for support.

To Elon students: Truffle fries and foodie grilled cheese. Life changing experience for all.

6. Bucket

To most: A plastic container often used for storage or to carry things in.

To Elon students: Your favorite drink Saturday night, your worst enemy Sunday morning. You may find yourself wondering why your mouth is stained blue by the end of the night?

7. Phoenix

To most: A mythological bird that rose from the ashes.

To Elon students: Rumor has it, it's our masot.

8. Oaks

To most: A temperate tree that offers shade on hot summer days.

To Elon students: The only conveniently located dorm for upperclassmen.

9. Late night

To most: Midnight, a general time when most people are sleeping.

To Elon students: Tater tots, greasy food, and most dependable post-game. Most frequented by freshmen and sophomores.

10. Snow Day

To most: A designated day off of school due to inclement weather and dangerous driving conditions.

To Elon students: One inch of snow and a couple yaks about possible flurries. Thank you, Smith Jackson, for all the emails.

11. Leo

To most: The lion.

To Elon students: The president of our university, the best host of the annual Christmas party, and our favorite person to receive a wave from when walking through campus. In a nutshell, he is a celebrity.