11 Ways To Maintain Your Sanity In College

Your mental health is just as important as your GPA.

47
HerCampus

It’s Sunday night and all you are doing is dreading the upcoming week. You have a presentation in world literature on Monday, a calculus exam on Wednesday, an anatomy lab practical on Friday, and a research paper on civil rights due on Saturday. Oh, and don’t forget about those two jobs you have to go to 6 days a week and that internship that takes up as much time as a third job.

Next thing you know, you’re crying about not being able to find your left shoe while you’re getting ready for class because your energy and sanity are so far beyond depleted that mental breakdowns are prone to happen at any given second. It’s okay. We’ve all been there. Thankfully, you’re not out of luck, and you're definitely not alone. There are a few tips and tricks to help you get through that 16-hell-week-semester.

1. Remember why you are here.

When you are lying in bed after your alarm clock goes off, and you hate your life because you only got two hours of sleep studying for your calculus exam, remember why you are doing this. Remember that at one point in time you made the conscious decision to get a degree and to better your life. Do yourself a favor, and go through with that decision. You owe it to yourself, and no one else, to earn that diploma. Don’t let your sleep deprived mind convince you otherwise.

2. Make a to-do list every night before you go to sleep.

If you are anything like me you then you probably lay in bed at night with your mind racing a million miles an hour about all of the things you need to do the next day. It’s almost like as soon as you lay down a trigger goes off which activates your brain to go over every tiny detail about your life.

Did I get all of my homework done? Did I pay my car payment? I really should start that research paper. Damn, I forgot to study for that psychology quiz. It’s already 2:38 a.m.! If I fall asleep now I can get exactly five hours and twenty-four minutes before I have to get back up. Maybe I can fit a 20-minute nap in between class and work.

Stressing out like this causes your brain to go into fight or flight mode which essentially releases adrenaline into your body. Obviously, that is the last thing you need when you are trying to go to sleep. Making a to-do list before you lay down will prevent that long, endless stream of thoughts from flowing through your mind because you will be able to get it all out in front of you. Then you can go count some sheep instead and hopefully get at least six and a half hours of sleep…

3. Breathe.

This one might sound obvious, but I’m sure you forget to do it at times. When everything seems to be going haywire, and you feel like giving up, just breathe. Take some deep breaths (ten if you need to), and think about the feeling in your chest when you finish the semester with all A’s and B’s. It will calm you down and help you to regain that focus you need to bust out those last 25 note cards.

4. Live in the moment.

Every week I find myself constantly repeating the phrase “Just get through this week.” It’s like a safety net that allows myself to believe that next week will be easier, but in truth, it will probably be just as chaotic. If you go through every single week with this mindset then you won’t enjoy any of your college life. Remember, some people do not get the opportunity that you have been given to earn a degree. So live in the moment, learn to embrace the chaos, and at least attempt to enjoy it all with a smile on your face.

5. Wake up early.

Truth is, you are going to be tired no matter what time you wake up. Don’t hit that snooze button eight times and get up at noon. Get up at 8 a.m. whether you like it or not and start your day. Think about everything you can do in those four hours. Go clean your apartment or study for an exam you have next week instead of waiting until the night before to cram it all into your brain.

6. Take your vitamins.

I seriously cannot stress this one enough. As a college student, you probably aren’t worried about nourishing your body as well as you should. The lack of sleep and sky-high stress levels probably aren’t helping much either. Have you ever been dead tired at four in the afternoon and all you want to do is take a nap? Well taking a multi-vitamin will provide your body with the energy and nutrients it needs to keep you healthy. That way you can push through that late afternoon exhaustion with ease and do something, anything, productive instead.

7. Work Out

Going to the gym four or five times a week won’t just help you get that spring break bod you’ve always wanted. Exercising releases endorphins into your body which actually makes you feel like a normal, upbeat human being again as opposed to a zombie just repeating life’s motions. Next time you are infuriated at your boss for yelling at you in front of customers, or you are distraught for getting a D on your quiz, go take your anger out at the gym. That way you will release stress, boost your mood, and lift that booty. It’s a win-win for everyone.

8. Take care of yourself.

Maintaining your sanity isn’t as glamorous as lavender bath bombs, a bottle of wine, and some thick-crust pizza (thanks, Pinterest and Tumblr). There is so much more to something as delicate as your sanity. Do your laundry. Make time to actually cook some homemade meals. Wash your car. Go for a run. Read a book about a subject you are passionate about. Your mental and physical well-being are often looked past during this hectic time of your life. Make it a priority to take care of yourself because your well-being is just as important as your GPA.

9. Set some goals, and then crush them.

At the beginning of the semester make a mental note of everything you want to accomplish. Maybe you want to get all A’s, or maybe you want to save up for that plane ticket to California so you can take a much-needed vacation. Whatever it is that your goals are, don’t give up on them. Set them, remember them, and then crush the hell out of them.

10. Don’t pull too many all-nighters.

At some point in your college career, you will stay up basically all night doing homework. If college had a ‘terms and conditions’ section it would definitely mention that every student must pull at least one all-nighter cramming for an exam. Procrastination at its finest, right?

Wrong. If it is 3:00 a.m. and you still have 50 practice problems and eight pages of outlines it is better to assume that if you don’t already know it, you won’t know it by the time your 11:00 a.m. exam starts. Sometimes it is best to just call it a night, hope the only information covered on the test is what you have already studied, and make a goal to plan better next time.

11. If none of these work, call Mom.

Mothers know best, right? Whether you need advice or you just want to unleash your built up emotions about everything being thrown at you this semester, mom is always there. It will probably make her day to hear from you every once in a while anyways, even if it is just to hear you vent. Thanks, Mom.