11 Ways To De-Stress After Horrible Exams

Life is already stressful… Exams? They're torture.
454

There comes a time in all our lives when we face obstacles that seem too difficult to surmount. We heave, struggle and STRESS ourselves out so much, it’s not surprising that the mental health of a vast majority of people isn’t in tip-top shape.

As struggling college students, one thing that does get our stress levels out of whack is exams. The Easy, the Challenging and the Impossible; each one is unwelcomed as long as they bear the banner of Exam.

You don’t have to dread them anymore. By carefully following this list, you can reduce your stress levels considerably and be your best self even after failing that Impossible Exam.

1. Cry a shot glass of tears.

Turn on the waterworks and enjoy those tears. Crying is extremely cathartic, especially when you’re trying really hard to do it. Watch some sad movies so you can have a good excuse to cry about the exam without looking like a complete wimp. Try to catch all your teardrops into a shot glass to add a little element of fun to it!

2. Choose a fun outdoor activity to do

Nothing busts stress like physical activities. Learn to ride a horse. Go rollerblading or cycling. Hike up the hills. Go snowboarding or swimming. Just do something besides sitting in the darkness of your room like the vampire you’re trying to be.

3. Drink a cup of hot herbal tea

What we eat really does have an effect on our stress levels. Don’t take caffeine before or after your exam. You’ll be jittery and feel ten times worse. A soothing cup of herbal tea will soothe your nerves and rejuvenate your mind.

4. Scream!

As loud as you can, as hard as you can! Scream and freak the heck out for as long as you can manage. Not only do you get to release your stress and anxiety in a real way, you also get to smile afterward, seeing as you looked like an absolute idiot for screaming in public.

5. Take out 15 minutes to listen to chill music and breathe

It may not surprise you, but just staying in one place and slowing down can make you feel instantly relieved. Stress causes you to be nervous and overactive. Lying down in your prime relaxation position will definitely make a difference. Fill your mind with the music and drift away from all your problems (Bonus points if you fall asleep).

6. Talk about it with someone

Sometimes, all we need to do is tell our fears and anxieties to a listening ear. Talking about our problems definitely doesn’t make them disappear but it feels so good to complain about the exam to someone who gets it. You know what they say: A problem shared, is a problem half solved.

7. Do some yoga and deep stretches

Channel all that negative energy into a way to burn some calories. A nice and calming yoga session will get your positive energies flowing and keep you feeling refreshed. There’s something so awesome about being able to twist into a pretzel.

8. Schedule time to wallow in self-pity

It’s no good avoiding your feelings. Buried feelings come back like ghosts: vengeful and unwanted. Allow yourself to feel sad about the exam. Listen to some sad music. Drink some water to freshen up. After your five minutes of sadness, you can perk right back up by analyzing what you did wrong and creating a new plan of action for yourself! Making plans you won’t keep is fun!

9. Read a book/ graphic novel

Sick and tired of your own problems? Step into a different world where you don’t exist, and the characters’ lives do! Get engrossed in their issues and lose yourself in them. With the right book, you should forget you probably failed that exam!

10. Do something absolutely crazy.

Go outside of your comfort zone by doing something so hilarious, it’s insane. Prank call some people. Walk backward down the steps when it’s almost crowded. If you’re in an elevator with more than three people, say “I’m sure you’re wondering why I’ve gathered you here today” and see how long you can fake it till you burst into hysterical laughter. Remember, laughter is the ultimate stress killer.

11. Get a deep tissue massage

I don’t think I need to explain why this is absolutely a must for great relaxation. If there are no massage places nearby, pay a couple of friends to pound into your back for 20 minutes or just go for a pedicure (amazing foot massage).

All in all, it’s always great to remember that it’s not the end of the world. One part of life doesn’t mean all of life. You can and will push through this stressful period! Good luck on the rest of your exams!