11 Ways To Become A Better Writer

11 Ways To Become A Better Writer

Good writing is not taught overnight.

45
11 Ways To Become A Better Writer
Stock Snap

1. For School Work, Know The Basic Paper Writing Format Well.

This is the boring part, but it’s one of the most important points! When writing an assignment for school, it is imperative to know the correct way to properly outline a paper, write a cohesive paragraph, and to include correct grammar punctuation throughout the paper. Whenever I have an essay to write, I always outline first. An outline is the skeleton of one’s form of writing. I always prefer to write out my outlines on a piece of paper before I transfer it to a computer; this method helps me internalize my work. As for paragraph cohesiveness, make sure your topic sentence is the umbrella for the rest of your essay. If some sentences in the paragraph don’t refer back to the first one, they shouldn’t be in your paragraph.

2. Check For Grammar Mistakes!

Going over grammar sucks, but it’s essential in writing. I didn’t fully understand how to use a comma until my Junior year of high school and I still struggle today, so if you’re still having a hard time in your current English class, know I’m there with you! Check for grammar mistakes like misplaced commas, no commas, wordiness, staying in the right tense and more. Once you notice that you’ve made a grammar mistake, you can learn from that.

3. Print It Out, Then Read.

Pretend to be a teacher! Print out your work and grade it yourself. This point is important if you are a visual learner like me. Once you print out your work on paper, it is a lot easier to check for grammar, content and general paper mistakes. I highly recommend using a pen while editing. Physically crossing out mistakes on your paper then going back and correcting can substantially help improve your writing.

4. Proofread Out LOUD!

This is point has saved me in many, many instances. It is considerably easier to find mistakes, mis-wordings and awkward sentences when reading your work out loud. What I find helpful is to literally read each paragraph after it’s finished. Knowing you like the sound of that paragraph, you can move on and repeat. By the end of your essay or article, your work is complete! If it still sounds iffy, go back and re-read and fix transitions.

5. Have Someone Else Read It.

Once you’ve read your paper, and it’s solid gold, amazing work, you’re still not quite finished. I would highly recommend getting a friend, a roommate, a parent or whoever to read your work either out loud or to themselves. Getting another pair of eyes to read your work is very important because at the end of the day, your writing will probably be seen by someone else depending on what platform or situation you’re writing for. Additionally, if someone else reads your work, they’ll point out mistakes that you didn’t notice. This exchange will help with coming across clearly to others with your writing.

6. Read Articles (Online Or Print) On Different Platforms.

Reading articles on platforms like The New York Times, Huffington Post, BuzzFeed, Twitter, Facebook, Time Magazine, CNN.com and more are few of the thousands of article platforms that exist in the world. If you regularly read articles, they will not only inform you about daily events and issues in the world, but they can actually help you with your writing skills. These journalists, critics and interviewers write for a living. They all cover provocative subjects and use colorful language, so reading and noticing their writing style can help you improve yours. Additionally, by reading certain types of writing, you could find one that appeals to you the most, and perhaps you could write on platforms like theirs in the future!

7. Let Poetry Inspire You.

I personally love poetry. It makes me feel free and open with my words. Reading and writing poetry is so therapeutic to me, and I hope it is for you too. Because poetry has a unique writing style for each person, it can be very inspirational. Poets are the masters of colorful language, amazing visual detail and provocative snap-worthy phrases. If you want to improve your writing, I would encourage you to broaden your horizons and observe or read poetry.

8. Journal Regularly.

This point is completely optional, but I find this a helpful way to improve my writing. I journal a few times a month in a notebook by my desk. Writing stimulates your brain in different ways. Journaling is also a great time to practice your writing in the sense that it won’t be shared with others. It’s a private time for yourself, and the more you do it, the better a writer you can be simply because you are taking the time to write outside of school.

9. Be Well Educated About What You Are Writing About.

This point is self-explanatory, and it is appropriate for writing essays or articles that others will read. When writing a formal assignment, you should understand what needs to be written, and how to come across clearly. Do effective and thorough research, and remember to proofread!

10. Read Books.

Read books! People my age don’t read as much anymore (unless it’s a school assignment), which is sad and unhealthy. I am a very busy person being a full-time student, but whenever I have a few weeks or months to myself, I enjoy reading. Books are a marvel, and they are so easy to get inspired by. Authors that have inspired me with their writing skills and general book content are Shel Silverstein, Paulo Coelho, Mark Twain, Albert Camus, and Frans Kafka. Read more!

11. Join An Online Blog Community Like The Odyssey!

This isn’t just a shameless plug for The Odyssey (which is a wonderful writing platform for college students)! It is genuine advice for those of you who enjoy writing as much as me: find a place online or in print to get your voice out there. I highly encourage you to this as scary as it may sound. Writing weekly has taught me a few things. Firstly, in this particular case, I can write on whatever I want to write about for The Odyssey, so it has encouraged me to voice whatever I feel like expressing to others. Secondly, it has taught me to manage my schedule efficiently because I have a deadline, and it makes me work harder to post good content knowing I’m under pressure. Finally, writing for an online platform has taught me to appreciate other writers who post public content. Putting one’s name and their opinions out there is bold, but it is probably the strongest method that has helped me improve my writing.