Eleven Things To See And Do In Hong Kong.

A guide to Hong Kong and Kowloon.

129
via Abi Haynie

This summer, I traveled to Hong Kong with some of my fellow classmates as a part of a scholarship we had received. We could've gone to Dublin or London, and at the beginning, that's where I was hoping we would've gone, but once I got to Hong Kong, I realized I wouldn't trade my experience for anything in the world. Without further ado, here are my top 11 things for you to see and do in Hong Kong.

1. The Peak

The best view in Hong Kong is on top of the Peak. On a clear day, you can see Hong Kong and Kowloon. Sometimes it's a little hazy, but being able to see the city without all of the noise around you is a beautiful thing.

2. Bird Market

There are so many markets in Hong Kong and Kowloon (I'll mention more later), and the Bird Market is fun to walk through. Little canaries sit in cages hanging above you as you walk down the street. There are so many pretty sounds to listen to.

3. Bubble Tea

Milk Tea is an on-the-go staple beverage which is sold on many street corners from kiosks. Though I'm not really a tea drinker (besides iced tea), I really enjoyed my bubble tea. It has little balls of tapioca in the bottom, making for a chewy treat while you drink!

4. Man Mo Temple

Right on Hollywood Road, Man Mo Temple surprised me. Right smack in the middle of the busy city, a spot of quietude where people may come and worship, incense hanging from the ceilings.

5. Flower Market

Another one of the many markets found in Hong Kong and Kowloon, the Flower Market was one of my favorite things because we were walking around the city and it was really humid out. Like, I'm pretty sure I'm sweating through my shirt humid. There were plenty of air conditioned shops to hop inside of to cool down, not to mention the beautiful flowers, a lot of which are unique to Asia.

6. Dim Sum

Dim Sum was one of my favorite parts of Hong Kong. Essentially, you pick multiple kinds of dumplings and other bite sized dishes and they come in steamed baskets. Everyone gets to try a little bit of everything!

7. Stanley Market

Like I said, there are a lot of markets in Hong Kong. Stanley Market was a lot of fun. You could buy anything you'd ever want, plus there were stalls where you could buy personalized gifts written in Cantonese, the language in Hong Kong.

8. Times Square

Alright, so cut me some slack here. Times Square is a mall, yes, a mall. I know I was in Hong Kong, but let me tell you something. This mall is impressive. There are 15 floors. You can find everything from restaurants, to clothes stores, to grocery stores, yes, grocery stores. This is like no mall you've ever seen before.

9. Egg Waffles

I love food. To those who know me, this is no secret. I searched for an egg waffle the entire time I was in Hong Kong. This is literally the perfect street food. It's so light and fluffy, with just a hint of sweetness. It's easy to take it anywhere...and so cheap. Why eat other food when you could just eat this?

10. The MTR

Yes, it's a subway system. I love public transportation. I love subways. Chances are, if you're in Hong Kong, you're going to end up using the MTR anyway, but just go. Enjoy it. Public transportation is God's gift to us (at least I'm pretty sure). Also, your handy dandy Octopus Card functions as a debit card at 7-Eleven.

11. Temple Street Night Market

This is the pièce de résistance of Hong Kong and Kowloon. There are about three or four blocks of vendors set up on either side of the street. The best time to go is around nine in the evening. There are clothes, chopsticks, knockoff watches, purses, toys, anything and everything. And like with most markets, it's a good idea to haggle. Food vendors are in-between the blocks. My only advice is to watch for pickpockets. Totally worth the trip!