The 11 Best Things About Returning To Franciscan University

When you're at Franciscan, you're home

106
franciscanu.com

1. Driving up the hill and seeing the Franciscan sign

There's nothing quite like seeing the Franciscan University sign after hours of travel and signs saying "30 more miles." Sure, the sign is nice to look at but it ultimately means, after an entire summer of waiting- you're finally home.

2. Seeing flowers in the rosary circle again

We all know how sad it is when winter rolls around because along with the unbearable cold, it also means the flowers in the rosary circle disappear. Seeing the rows of colorful flowers is yet another reminder of how lucky we are to attend Franciscan.

3. Being reunited with friends after three long months

Whether you're a freshman and you recognize someone from university days or your best friend is back from Austria, there's nothing quite like seeing your favorite people's faces again. After months of texting about how much you miss each other and waiting for school to roll aroung, you're finally able to catch up with your favorite Frannies. *Cue people squeeling in the caf for the first week of school*

4. Setting up your new room

Getting a new room, no matter how small, is always exciting. It's your chance to make your 10 x 14 room your new home, whether that means something straight out of Pinterest or a single poster.

5. People will get your jokes again

Home friends are great, but no one gets your weird sense of humor quite like your college friends. Remember that one time Father Matt compared us to roast beef marinating in a Crock Pot? Yeah, me too.

6. Sundae for your Sunday

My all-time favorite back-to-school activity is hands down Sundae for your Sunday. It's where I met one of my best friends freshman year while chatting about brownies (#friendshipgoals) and it's a great way to catch up with people you haven't seen all summer. Did I mention Friars serving us ice cream?

7. Starting new classes

Now that the pain of finals has finally subsided, we can officially be excited for new classes again. New classes mean new teachers (or catching up with teachers you already know and love), new school supplies, and the joy of syllabus week.

8. Living five seconds away from your best friends again

After entertaining yourself all summer, you finally like a hop, skip, and a jump away from your favorite people to play with. You want to go to late night at 10 p.m.? Easy, walk two steps down the hallway and drag your friends with you. Adventures await when you live next door to your besties for the resties. That's a real phrase, right?

9. Opening Mass

My favorite non-ice cream-related event wold have to be Opening Mass. Fieldhouse mass is not my favorite (mostly because I need knee pads during communion) but there's something special about gatherine together as a school, students and faculty alike, to kick off the upcoming school year.

10. Living less than 100 yards away from The Portiuncula

The Port is the most peaceful place on Earth and as Franciscan students, we get to live right next door it (sorry lower campus). Adoration at home is great but unless you like right next to your church, it involves driving. On campus, we get 24/7 access to adoration and it doesn't get much better than that.

11. Feeling like you're finally back home

Sure, we get to go "home" for summer break, but our real home eight months out of the year is Franciscan. It's where we choose our future careers, make our best friends, and form ourselves as people. I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be than 1235 University Boulevard. When you're at Franciscan, you're home. #FranniesForLyfe