11 Songs To Get You Through Tough Times

11 Songs To Get You Through Tough Times

Music brings emotional healing.

It’s been said—and even scientifically proven—that music can bring emotional healing.

Listening to music ignites our senses in a way no other artistic medium can. And for many people, when going through difficult times in their lives, music is something to rely on when all else fails—if not to erase their problems, then to help them get through their struggles and remind them they’re not alone.

The introduction to adulthood can be such a confusing time in everyone’s life. There are so many questions to answer and decisions to make; there is so much frustration, distress and hopelessness, yet at the same time, so much growth and discovery happening. I personally tend to cycle through these feelings pretty often. But music really does help to make it all a little easier. Here are 11 songs that can uplift you during the tough times and help you through them:

1. Starsailor - “Some Of Us”

“We all have our faults / Mine come in waves, that you turn to rust / Some of us laugh, some of us cry / Some of us smoke, some of us lie / But it’s all just the way that we cope with our lives.”

A beautiful ballad by a highly underrated British band.

2. Keane - “Won’t Be Broken”

“Some days I think someone’s trying to keep me down / But I know it’s just my own fear that I’m fighting.”

A piano-driven song with a hopeful sound and such inspiring lyrics.

3. X Ambassadors - “Unsteady”

“Hold on to me / ‘Cause I'm a little unsteady.”

This song serves as the reminder we all need to hear sometimes—it’s okay to admit you’re not okay.

4. Twenty One Pilots - “Car Radio”

“I’m forced to deal with what I feel / There is no distraction to mask what is real.”

What are Twenty One Pilots known for if not the emotional intensity in their lyrics that cut straight to the bone? “Car Radio” is arguably one of their most powerful songs.

5. Saosin - “You’re Not Alone”

There is more to this, I know / You can make it out / You will live to tell.”

While we’re on the themes of loneliness and intensity, Saosin’s “You’re Not Alone” has the same level of emotional power to it and sends an equally powerful message.

6. Ryan Calhoun - “This Is Your Life”

“All this time spent / chasing after things that won't survive / This is your life / Don’t let it pass you by / There’s nothing here to fight / I wish you could see how you burn so bright.”

A little-known singer/songwriter, Ryan Calhoun deserves more exposure. His simple yet beautiful songs offer messages of encouragement and finding contentment in the present moment, and “This Is Your Life” is a perfect example.

7. Florence + The Machine - “Shake It Out”

“I've been a fool and I've been blind / I can never leave the past behind / I can see no way / I'm always dragging that horse around / All of his questions, such a mournful sound / Tonight I'm gonna bury that horse in the ground.”

A hauntingly beautiful song about learning from your past and fighting your inner demons.

8. The Mountain Goats - “This Year”

“I am gonna make it through this year / If it kills me.”

This song tells a story—in raw honesty, with nothing held back.

9. James Bay - “Let It Go”

“I used to recognize myself / It’s funny how reflections change / When we're becoming something else / I think it's time to walk away.”

One of the most difficult choices we must make in life is the decision to either hang on or let go. Whether it’s a relationship, friendship, a personal goal…everyone faces this challenge at some point, and it’s never easy.

10. Beartooth - “In Between”

“Everybody gets high, everybody gets low / Life can be such overdose.”

For any metalcore fans out there. The lyrics are always relevant. This is one of the band’s most popular songs, for obvious reasons.

11. The Beatles - “Let It Be”

“And when the broken-hearted people / Living in the world agree / There will be an answer / Let it be.”

I had to include it. It’s a classic, even if it is a bit cliche. We get so caught up in finding answers and forget that not everything needs to be figured out right now. Sometimes it’s best to let time bring us the answers.