11 Signs You're From A Big Family

11 Signs You're From A Big Family

There's you, your parents, your sister, your brothers....

227
11 Signs You're From A Big Family
Cristina Cerda / Unsplash

When you grow up in a big family, you tend to experience life a little differently. Most people, if they have siblings, have one or two. If you're like me, you have at least three siblings. That means, five or six people in one house, four of them learning how to cope with life. This can create havoc on the family and create unique circumstances only big families have. Here is a small list of things and signs that show you're from a big family.

1. "How many siblings do you HAVE...?"

You start talking about your siblings and people lose track of who you're talking about. You have so many siblings that he's and she's are starting to overlap. It gets to a point where people have to ask, "Just how many siblings do you have...?"

2. Interrupting

Not only do you quickly get used to being interrupted, you accidentally interrupt people all the time. There are so many of you that you have to interrupt each other to get a word in edge-wise. It becomes not only a habit, but a way of life. You don't realize how bad it is until you're unconsciously interrupting your friends. Your catch-phrase quickly becomes "I'm sorry, I got excited..."

3. Personal Space

You know how it goes. The whole "Stop touching me" and "I'm not touching you" nonsense. All you want is a little bit of space but your siblings have other ideas.

4. Teasing

The relentless teasing that you can only find from your siblings. Sometimes, they go a little too far and the teasing evolves into outright making fun. You each learn when not to tease and adapt. This friendly teasing transfers to your close friends. It comes with the territory.

5. THE FIGHTS

From overdone teasing to disagreements to borderline sibling hate-crimes, the fights are endless. Some siblings fist-fight, others just argue. Some do both. Sibling rivalry rises to it's final form when you have multiple siblings. The more siblings you have, the worse it gets.

6. Patience as a lifestyle

The fighting, teasing, and interrupting basically gives you unfathomable levels of patience. You can easily become the mediator between the many fights that you are not involved in. As time moves on, the fights happen less because of your increased patience, but they also tend to be much more explosive.

7. Roommates

If you have a lot of siblings, odds are you grew up with at least one roommate. Odds are, you have no problem adjusting your habits to work alongside your roommates. The only thing you have to worry about is whether or not you get along with your roommates.

8. Decor

Much like changing your habits to work with your roommates, you tend to work with each other for decorating your room. My sister and I have similar tastes in room decor, despite our drastic difference in clothing style. Yet another perk for your roommates.

9. Storytelling

You have plenty of ridiculous stories about your family. The more siblings you have, the more material you have. Telling these stories gives you practice for other stories, culminating to make you into a fantastic storyteller.

10. Not Me

Not Me, the invisible extra child in the family. Your parents ask who broke something or left something out, and everyone responds "Not me." It gets to a point where either the actual person fesses up, or everyone is punished for Not Me's actions.

11. Hand-me-downs

When you have a lot of siblings, your parents have to buy stuff for everyone. The more of you there are, the more they have to pay. Odds are, they're going to want to save as much as they can. This means you get to wear your siblings' old clothes. For several years of my life, all of my clothes were either hand-me-downs from my sister, or my mom made them herself. Most of them were hand-me-downs. Some of the home-made stuff was passed down too.

And the list goes on. Life in a big family is crazy and hectic. But as crazy as life can be growing up, your family means the world to you. There may be days where you wish it was different (aka the fighting), but you wouldn't trade them for the world.