The 11 Most Rewatchable Movies According to Me

Revisit some favorite moving pictures this summer!

56
CBS News

Congratulations! You're home for the summer, looking forward to a few months of blissful relaxation, relationship building, sun-basking, and… what's that? The apathetic call of procrastination summoning you from the depths of that mountain of boxes to unpack that looms in the corner of your suddenly cramped bedroom? Netflix gives a call-and-response echo of encouragement toward its luxurious halls, decorated (in my overactive imagination) along the lines of a swanky '70's love nest.

One of my favorite ways to enjoy time with loved ones, and all too often avoid responsibilities for "just another hour" is to watch movies. I love movies, whether they're providing escapism or making me rethink my life. It's best when they do both! It's even better when they combine these aspects with the blessed ability to be watched many times over until the watcher is able to readily quote, reference, and make fun of said movie. You feel smart because you find new things every time, and take comfort in the fact that, in a world of unknowns and losing Powerball numbers, some movies stand the test of time and give you joy no matter what else is going on in your life. Granted, sometimes you're in the mood to watch an edgy, mind-exploding new film that leaves you mostly confused, but often during the buttery sunshine of summer, the comforting arms of a tried and true film can be the best choice. Here are 10 of my all-time favorites to get you in the mood!

Disclaimer(s):

a) The following titles are in no particular order; you're lucky I had the grit to narrow my favorites down to only 10!

b) This does not include the obvious franchises that are so near and dear to my heart such as: the Harry Potter series, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Indiana Jones saga, Pirates of the Caribbean series, etc. that are all very acceptable choices for rewatching.

1. The Wizard of Oz

From the opening "dahn-DAHN-dahnnn-dahnn-DAHN" orchestral wave of this beloved film, I will forever feel swept away to Kansas. Maybe it's the fact it was the soundtrack and visuals to my childhood, or that I went on to read the 13-book series attached, or perhaps it's just the superstar glint in a young Judy Garland's eye as she sings about the land "over the rainbow" that we all dream about at some time or another, or the wholesome depth to the "courage, brains and heart = home" message; this film will always skip it's way on my "most comforting films" list.

2. Princess Bride

If you don't know this movie well enough to quote the plethora of jokes, then I feel sorry for you.

As the grandpa we all wish we had says when convincing his grandson to not take the book at face value, this story has it all: "Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles…" and will leave you believing in true love (and a few more laugh lines while you're at it).

3. Singin' In The Rain

A delightful musical romp full of 1920's style with 1950's humor, this film never gets old or loses the punchy quality to it's all around timing. The laughs keep coming, and you can't help but sing along! I still laugh at Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor's high antics as they cheerfully wrap the vocal instructor up in a gigantic curtain, or when O'Connor shows the world just what physical comedy is during "Make 'Em Laugh."

Whether it's your first time loving this movie, or the 101st time, you're sure to leave the theatre faux-tap dancing.

4. The Sound of Music

Is there anything more beautiful than Dame Julie Andrews twirling to her heart's content in the Alps?

I'll let you answer that… (but, the human answer is, "No, nothing in this universe or the next can compare to that majesty.")

It's enough to make me want to gallivant around Austria wearing lederhosen made from curtains any day! Look no further for a heart-stirring, life-assuring adventure.

5. Love, Actually

Okay, call me "basic," but honestly this movie stole my heart before I even knew it was a Christmas classic to so many. A longtime fan of the dry, sassy quality of British humor, this film has enough twists, quirks, heartbreaks, and swear words to keep me cry-laughing until the end of time. Bill Nighy, Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, Liam Neeson, a young, unknown Martin Freeman and Rowan Atkinson in the greatest cameo to date, just to name a few -- can you say quality?!

6. Princess Diaries

The classic rags-to-riches story gets turned on its head and given a healthy dose of San Franciscan cynicism while given new heart from a freshly discovered Anne Hathaway and the eternal grace of Julie Andrews (if you think it's a coincidence that she has been on this list twice, think again!). As cliché as my more mature brain may find some of the plot points, you can't deny the importance or sheer number of young girls that were shown that brains and selflessness can show the egotistical bottle blonds any day. I still tear up when Mia starts in on her "how many stupid times a day, I say the word 'I'" speech; its truth still holds true on every re-watching!

And how can you resist the power of Paulo: the textbook example of how to make a memorable character out of a bit part.

7. About Time

A stunning exploration of the importance of living in the moment, I always find new nuances, angles and details when I have the blessed chance to revisit this gem of a film.

My favorite Rachel McAdams role mixed with the prime subtly of Bill Nighy (another two-timer on this list, just genius) and a rather gorgeous lead by Domhnall Gleason who is both awkward and persistent -- normally an annoying combination, but pulled off with such endearing substance that we as the audience just can't help but fall for his bumbling ginger self over and over. Perhaps the greatest beauty in this film is the cinematography and locations -- London and Cornwall are both on magnificent display. Enjoy.

8. How To Be

When people judge me for harboring a deep love for Robert Pattinson, I always find myself arguing: "But, have you seen any of his work before Twilight?" The guy has chops and a surprising sense of comedic timing (if you enjoy uncomfortable British silences and awkwardness, like I do) and there are few places better to find this aspect of him than "How to Be."

Released in early 2008, this painfully funny coming-of-age film centers around a burgeoning artist that learns to take the reins of his own life in a less friendly London than represented in "About Time." There's plenty of satire on the genre infused with some just lovely moments of human connection. You'll walk away feeling inspired to put your dreams first!

Oh, and as you'll find out, Rob can sing. Check it out…

9. Pride and Prejudice

The ultimate classic romance, "Pride and Prejudice" die-hards always have their own preferences of what version stole their hearts first. For this Austen lover, I always turn to the Keira Knightley starring 2005 version, despite it taking some artistic liberties. I feel that those liberties worked to its advantage, and made a timeless story feel more modernly accessible.

Where to start in arguing for its place on this list?! The music! The sexual tension. The language… The rain-soaked locks! Let it work its magic, and soon you won't remember your life without Darcy and Lizzie's battle of the wits.

And you'll want to run to any nearby gazebo anytime it rains.

10. Amélie

The impish joy spreading from Audrey Tatou's mischievous grin to your heart is just one of the many side affects of this quirky french film.

Helping others in small but profound ways, "Amélie" shows us the true meaning of love and finding satisfaction in the little things of life.

After this enthralling, meticulously detailed adventure, you'll walk away feeling a new trust in the beauty of the universe.

10. 13 Going On 30

Who can resist the thumping beats of a good '80s song? Not Jenna Rink, and not me. It was refreshing to me as a youngster to see a heroine that tells it like it is, and isn't ashamed of how hopeful and no-bullshit her personality is.

Of course, she is technically a 13-year-old in a 30 year old's "thirty, flirty and thriving" life, and her naïveté is used for comedic effect, but the idea that people can stay young at heart and make a difference still rings through.

I always get semi-embarressed by the way the ending "I've always loved you" speech from Mark Ruffalo gets my waterworks going. Every time I watch this movie, I tell myself it's cheesy, tween-fodder and over-acted, and I shouldn't get half as much enjoyment out of it. But, I've found that it is all those things and still manages to make a beautiful point: bring fun back into your life, never lose your inner child, don't ignore the soon-to-be-hot best friend, and don't let the mean kids change who you are.

I challenge you: who among us hasn't desperately wanted to go back in time to fix a life-changing mistake? There's no shame in identifying with Jennifer Garner's dimples and genuine spirit!

It's okay to enjoy the things that aren't always immensely cerebral once in a while! It's okay to keep that child happy when you need a pick me up.

It's okay to rewatch a movie now and again!

The best part is that these are some of my favorites, but yours might be totally different. I hope I've inspired you to watch some of these gems if you haven't before, but for now, go find your favorites, pop one in and let me know in the comments section!