11 Reasons You Should Get Involved In College

Just do it.

1633
njit

Doesn't matter what you do or what you pick just get involved! There are many things on campus that you can choose from, maybe Greek life, programs/organizations, residence halls, committees, or even discussion groups/study groups. In the end it will benefit you in an tremendous way and here are 11 reasons why!

1. You Gain Experience

This is a common comment many advisers or professors tell you when they say "Go get involved." But it is the truth they are right! There are certain techniques and abilities you can't just learn through a book or in class. You really have to get up and find something at the college that interest you. You get to learn communication skills, time management, how to become a professional, and even gain outside knowledge. This is hands on experience that will assist you in the long run.

2. Time Management

Yup the big time management that many college students seem to try and tackle. Well joining that extra club or organization will unquestionably put you on the right track of learning how to time manage. All because you have more on your plate and the people that surround you can motivate you. When someone mentions time management you'll be like, " I got this."

3. Meet New People

Oh yeah let it be known you will DEFIANTLY make new friends and meet new people. It is so rewarding to meet another student and realize how much you actually have in common or that you have mutual friends.

4. It's Good For Your Mental Health

Yeah you are probably thinking, "How is this good for my mental health if I'm adding more work for myself." Believe it or not, allowing yourself to get involved gives you the break from studying and stress. Surrounding yourself with other students and doing something else besides school work is a sense of relief and comfort. Helps you get out and interact.

5. Connections

Throughout your entire involvement you will meet people that are in higher positions that will be great connections for your future. Even your peers could do the same job, who knows years from now you will run into a student that was in the same organization way back in college and could help you with a job.

6. Assistance In School

Meeting all these people give you more of a chance to ask for help on campus. With anything such as information you may need to know or studying. A majority of the stuff I needed to know or needed help with from a class came from other students that I meet through an organization. Thank you peers!

7. Scholarships

College is pricey and well we all know that scholarships give a large helping hand for our pockets. Being involved could help improve your chances of receiving some of the scholarships your college offers.

8. Resume

Even if you did not hold a high leadership role as President, Vice President, etc. It is still great for someone to look at your resume and see that you played a role in a community service, organizations, or clubs. This allows you to have different qualities and characteristics than other students.

9. Diversity

The best ever is allowing the diversity of people, cultures, and ideas surround you. When you become involved the biggest factor that will benefit you is experiencing diversity. It opens so many new doors and opens up your mind to the assortment the world really has.

10. Break Outside Your Shell

If you are the one to shy away or not the very outgoing type this would be something in your favor. It will be hard at first to jump into socializing but in the end you will more than likely become a social butterfly and this will always help you in your future endeavors.

11. Smooth Transition from College To Work

Work, work, work, work. No worries! You got this. With all the years of hard work being involved on campus the job life is no match against you. Prepared is what you will be!

In the end, this will always be something that could benefit you. Stay on the look out for my own personal story and how getting involved changed my life and opened many doors for me.

Melissa out!

And remember...