11 Reasons Why You Should Consider Voting For A Third-Party Candidate

Because racists and criminals shouldn't hold the highest seat in the land.

3600
Radical Reactionary

With the 2016 presidential race being the most controversial one to date and with the general election right around the corner, many people are unsure if they will support the candidate that represents the party they would typically vote for. Both sides are abundant with flaws that instill doubt in their leadership capabilities and their ability to run a country. They have resorted to slinging insults at one another and directing their campaigns to be negative against their opponent instead of positive for themselves and their time in office. This puts voters in a position where they have to choose between the lesser of two evils, which is the worst-case scenario in a presidential election.

So why force ourselves to make this difficult decision? Why not instead look to candidates representing other political parties? While they may not be what most Americans are comfortable voting for, they may be the best option for the upcoming election. I’m not saying that I believe a third party has the potential to win this election, but I do think that garnering them more support and recognition will change American politics for the better and here are some reasons why.

1. The more parties that are represented in the government, the more belief systems that are represented.

You don’t mean to tell me that you agree with every item on the Republican or Democratic platform, do you? There are plenty of other parties out there that you may be more in agreement with or that may focus on something that you are extremely passionate about. Don’t settle just because it’s expected of you.

2. Multi-party systems prevent the leadership of a single party from controlling a legislative chamber without challenge.

While abolishing legislative partisanship isn’t realistic for this upcoming election, the inclusion of more political parties in government over time would certainly guarantee that Congress would get more accomplished.

3. Having multiple major parties leads to a more coherent government.

If each party has less than the majority of the vote, they are more strongly motivated to come together to form a working government because they can only get things done if they band together and make compromises.

4. If a third party gets five percent of the general election vote, they get federal funding.

Which means equal opportunities as the other two major parties. The Libertarian party, in particular, has been gaining major traction this election and is expecting to reach that five percent goal. New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson and Massachusetts Gov. William Weld, the Libertarian presidential and vice-presidential candidates, even had their own “Town Hall Meeting” on CNN.

5. The Libertarian party is a perfect blend of Democratic and Republican ideals.

They are socially liberal and economically conservative and they believe that the “only proper purpose of the government” is the protection of individual liberties. That leaves the people fully in control of their personal lives and their finances.

6. Libertarians want to give the power back to the people.

Their slogan is “Minimum Government, Maximum Freedom,” which is the purpose of the government anyways. You can view their platform here. While there are several fundamental differences between the parties, Libertarians are the only ones whose goal is free-will and an individual’s right to “exercise sole dominion over their own life.”

7. Libertarians want you to keep your money.

I don’t know about you, but I’m not exactly a huge fan of giving a chunk of my paycheck to the government for them to spend on something I don’t support. Possibly the most alluring aspect of this party is that they “call for the repeal of the income tax and the abolishment of the IRS.” Then how will the government pay for all of their programs and blah, blah, blah? I’m glad you asked. The Libertarian party believes that the budget should be balanced by “cutting expenditures and not by raising taxes.” Hallelujah!!

8. Libertarians want to take government out of people’s personal relationships and the decisions they make regarding their well-being.

Why is the government even there in the first place? If you want to do something that doesn’t impede on the rights of other people, then you should be allowed to do it. Every individual is held accountable for their actions, therefore they should be free to choose what actions they take.

9. Libertarians want you to keep your guns.

And they won’t prosecute you for exercising your right to self-defense. While this might be a little far-fetched given recent events, they actually oppose all government laws that restrict, register or monitor the ownership, manufacture or transfer of firearms or ammunition.

10. The Green Party of the United States is even more liberal than the Democratic Party.

If you hate corporate funding, the Israeli takeover of Palestine and the lofty military budget; support electoral reform, the Social Security system and real universal healthcare; and are passionate about opposing the Keystone XL Pipeline, reducing emissions immediately and converting to renewable energy sources, then this is the party for you.

11. The Constitution Party is even more conservative than the Republican Party

This party believes that the U.S. is a Christian state founded on the basis of the Bible and that the legal system should be restored to its “Biblical foundations.” They favor non-interventionist foreign policy, oppose the practice of granting citizenship to children born to illegal immigrants on U.S. soil, want to use the military to enforce their strict immigration policies and have a long-term goal of prohibiting immigration. They also oppose euthanasia, abortion in all cases, same-sex marriage, pornography, the Department of Energy and the Voting Rights Act. They believe that English should be the official language of the government and insist that anyone who wishes to vote be required to read and comprehend English as a precondition. Yikes...God bless America.

So, now you see you have more than two options. I encourage you all to vote for the candidate that you believe best represents your ideals instead of voting for one that you may disagree with, just because they represent the party with which you identify. And so I leave you with the wise words of a great man...