11 Reasons Goodbyes Are The Worst

11 Reasons Goodbyes Are The Worst

Honestly, what good is a goodbye?

468
11 Reasons Goodbyes Are The Worst
Destiny Lewis

Goodbyes are hard. I've found that within the past year and a half I've had to say goodbye to so many people. High school graduation, youth group, summer camp, college friends' graduation, summer camp pt. 2. Most of the time you don't know if you're ever going to see these people again. You could have spent eight years with them or only four weeks, but either way saying goodbye is just as difficult. I hate saying goodbye, and these are some reasons why.

1. Too many emotions.

I am the type of person that didn't cry during Titanic. My mom thinks I'm heartless; my roommate has decided I either a) don't have tear ducts or b) am a robot. I don't like to cry, and I don't like being sad. Goodbyes are sad, and I can't handle that.

2. Uncertainty kills me.

One thing about goodbyes is that you might not know the next time you're going to see that person. It could be in two weeks, or you could never see them again. How stressful is that?!

3. Because what do you do with your life now?

After spending all of your time with people, it's real confusing when they leave. Like, I have all this free time, but I'm all alone.

4. You have no one to talk to.

Especially when there's always someone around, it's really sad when all of a sudden they're gone. I find myself having conversations with myself more and more lately.

5. Waiting for the goodbye.

One of the worst parts about goodbyes is waiting for it. The "last day" is always the worst, because everyone knows it's time for it to be over, but no one wants to say it.

6. Keeping in touch is hard.

It's possible, that's for sure, but it's not the same as being together in person. And sadly, after a few months, it begins to fade. Everybody gets busy, and you don't talk as much.

7. There's no one to laugh with.

You have to laugh at stupid internet things all by yourself at 2:30 in the morning. How lame.

8. Your schedule is all messed up.

There's no one there to get Taco Bell in the middle of the night with you. And nobody understands why you want it then anyways. And going to sleep at a decent time is actually a thing, what?

9. Missing big "after-goodbye" events

There's those awkward "wait you broke up" meetings after like three months, because you haven't really talked since your big goodbye.

10. Some people don't like hugs.

You know what's really awkward? Going in for a hug goodbye with someone that doesn't do hugs. Like "oh okay I wasn't going to hug you anyways, it's fine."

11. Awkward unplanned reunions.

After six weeks of not seeing each other, accidentally running in to each other is awkward. You do a little "Hey, it's been forever," smile, maybe hug, and walk away wondering why they didn't tell you they were in town....

Goodbyes are not fun, and neither are the post-goodbye effects. I don't like them, but they're a part of life, and I guess I should get used to them. We all have to go through them, and maybe one day I'll get over my distaste for them. Until then, I'll just try to avoid them as much as possible.