11 Reasons To Explore The World With People To People

Leaving my parents for a month to wander the world was the best decision I ever made.

23
Courtney James, Abby Watson

I had the opportunity to spend an entire month abroad. I was able to experience England, Ireland, France and Wales with a company called People to People in their Student Ambassador Program. People to People was created by President Dwight D. Eisenhower on September 11, 1956 when he thought of a cultural exchange program while meeting with the top 100 American Leaders such as Walt Disney, Joyce Hall and Bob Hope. The goal was to create international relations with students for students. This is what I learned in a month abroad with about 30 other students and five chaperones:

1. The Difference Of A "Want" And "Need".

Since I had to switch my currency, I was limited on my spending for a whole month. This then made me look over which souvenirs I would actually put to use and which ones I wouldn't. It's a small lesson but I've been able to carry it out to my everyday purchases.

2. Finding New Adventures

While I was in Wales, I had the opportunity to repel off of a 75 foot castle wall. Let me tell you, I was beyond scared when they told to me start walking down the side but once I started, I wished the building was taller so I had more time to take in what was around me.

3. Discovering The Land Is INCREDIBLE

4. The Friendship

My group had been composed of a bunch of teenagers from all over, some so far that I would have never had the opportunity to meet them. Now, They are some of the strongest friendships I have.

5. Learning a new city is it's own lesson

When you know you have to figure out where you are and where you have to be in an hour, you learn to understand your surroundings even when they're in new languages.

6. The Food And The Exercise

Honestly, throughout the trip there is a lot of food involved. But, no matter how much you eat, you spend so many more hours walking up and down different countries. So many of us slimmed down throughout the process of our trip that we joked around that it was an added bonus.

7. The Locals

No matter where you go, there are always locals who are more than willing to tell you stories about whats around you. The stories about the small towns and the families that have been there for generations are just incredible.

8. Homestay Opportunity

There is a point in the trip where you stay in a certified local house for a few nights. You are in a group with others and placed into a house where sometimes might have someone from yet another country. While in Ireland, I stayed with three other girls in my group and an Italian boy who was going to school for English there. It was a fairly interesting mix.

9. Put Yourself To The Test

The entirety of the trip is discovering yourself and your limits. You get to see yourself in some real adult situations and you'll learn how to adult on your own in no time!

10. You're History In The Making!

You will be joining an elite group of students who have walked through so many historical sites and ancient ruins. Who knows maybe something monumental will happen while you're there like the birth of a new prince/princess!

11. YOU'RE YOUNG!

Being young gets to become such a great excuse. Travel the world before you get tied down and can't go on such long trips anymore. The world is full of initiative, take it.