11 Musical Theater Songs To Obsess Over

11 Musical Theater Songs To Obsess Over

There's nothing wrong with replaying the same recording of Jeremy Jordan 20 times a day, right?

811
11 Musical Theater Songs To Obsess Over
ryylxjw

I'm obsessed with musical theater. I've been doing it since I was very young and hope to do it for years to come. I constantly take inspiration from different performers and shows both new and old, and the scope of incredible music and stories the art form has to offer never ceases to thrill me. Although there are lots of amazing songs that I've listened to countless times, there are certain numbers that particularly strike me to my core and serve as reminders of just how amazing musical theater is. Looking at this list, I hope you realize what a wide variety of styles and stories musical theater encompasses, and maybe find some new obsessions of your own. Here, in no particular order, are eleven songs to replay over and over and return to time and again in all their obsession-worthy glory.

1. "All The Wasted Time" from Parade.

I first heard this song a week or two ago and have been listening to it almost every day since. This is an older musical by Jason Robert Brown that ran on Broadway for a very short time in the late '90s, but it was recently performed in concert with Laura Benanti and Jeremy Jordan. They are both incredible and have the perfect chemistry for this heart-wrenching song about a couple who have remained loyal to one another through hardship and years of separation. The quiet and tender first verse will immediately pull you in, the chorus is a beautiful declaration of love, and the ending is stunning.

2. "Bad Idea" from Waitress

This another stunning duet from an onstage couple who has incredible chemistry, Jessie Mueller and Drew Gehling. Waitress is one of my favorite shows on Broadway right now, and this song perfectly showcases what a unique blend of unique musical theater and pop sounds Sara Bareilles brings to her dynamic score. The song is upbeat for the most part but slows down into an absolutely stunning bridge that showcases the beauty and distinctiveness of the show's vocal arrangements.

3. "Seventeen" from Heathers

For me, this is about as close to perfect as a number can be. The harmonies are completely breathtaking and the lyrics echo a beautiful yearning for a simpler, easier life within the drama and tragedy of the musical's story. The fact that this song was never heard on a Broadway stage is so sad because it's one of the most beautiful songs out there from an absolutely incredible take on the classic film.

4. "Why" from tick... tick... BOOM!

This song is a must-listen for anyone looking to pursue a career in the arts. I first heard it in a video of the City Center Encores! production starring the perfectly-cast Lin-Manuel Miranda, Leslie Odom, Jr., and Karen Olivo, and I've shed many tears listening to it since. This song from an, unfortunately, little-known musical by Rent legend Jonathan Larson tells the story of someone who has loved music and theater for years but struggles to decide whether he has what it takes to continue pursuing his passion. The lyrics are absolutely stunning, the sentiment relatable and heartbreaking, and the vocals executed beautifully on the cast recording by one of my favorite actors, Raúl Esparza.

5. "More Life" from Now.Here.This.

This is another musical that has unfortunately not garnered nearly as much recognition as its creators' previous work, [title of show.] This song particularly shows off the incredible blend and unique vocal arrangements that make this group of four actors so special and dynamic. The number is both upbeat and reflective, the harmonies are tight, and the cast is able to deliver a great amount of power with just four voices.

6. "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story" from Hamilton

It's tough to pick just one song from the musical that changed my life and the scope of musical theater forever, but I think this is a solid pick. The depth of emotion delivered in this quiet ending to such a dynamic show is breathtaking, the harmonies are beautiful as always, and the way the narrative's focus shifts to the incredible character of Eliza is stunning in itself. Also, a beautiful unison ending is always a plus in my book.

7. "A Little More Homework" from 13

So this musical is a bit strange, at times offensive, and to me is more accurate to the reality of a group of 16-year-olds than 13-year-olds. But whatever age is truly represented in this show, I think the reality of life for a young person, particularly a high schooler, is reflected beautifully in this quiet number. The lyrics are incredibly honest, and the vocals are gorgeous from a young cast that included a very small Ariana Grande.

8. "Rainbow High" from Evita

Evita is one of my favorite shows, and while brutally hard to sing, the titular role has some incredible, iconic numbers. This one is incredibly powerful and showcases the belting prowess of actresses like everyone's favorite musical theater mom, Patti LuPone. Plus, it deserves to be on this list for that stunning key change alone.

9. "I Turned The Corner" from Thoroughly Modern Millie

Although this musical is problematic, this song is breathtakingly beautiful- right from the beginning the strings and piano arpeggios are absolutely stunning and I believe Gavin Creel has one of the most gorgeous voices in musical theater right now. His tone is unbearably beautiful, his old-school run at the end of the chorus is unlike anything I've ever heard, and he gets to the top of his range with such grace and strength. His performance of this gorgeous number instantly puts me in a good mood.

10. "Waving Through A Window" from Dear Evan Hansen

This is the newest song on this list and comes from a show to hit Broadway in the upcoming season. Judging from this song, its move to the Great White Way is well deserved. Ben Platt performs the entirety of this upbeat number with such power, flying through every key change seemingly with ease. The strength and control of his voice is stunning, from the quiet beginning to the low bridge to the incredible, belted ending. The song is the perfect modern anthem for singing along to in the car.

11. "Being Alive" from Company

This list wouldn't be complete without a little Sondheim. This song an incredibly powerful ballad that finishes off Company and the arc of its central character beautifully. Look no further than Raúl Esparza's performance in the most recent revival to see just how stunning this number is, from its soft beginning to its grand ending. The depth of emotion in the lyrics as the character finally admits what he wants makes it a striking finale and a beautiful end to this list. Enjoy your new obsessions!