11 Movies On Netflix You Need To See

11 Movies On Netflix You Need To See

Yes, they're all on Netflix!

31

I know I'm not the only one who struggles to find something new to watch after re-watching my favorite TV show for the 100th time in a row! I did some digging through Netflix's archives so that you don't have to!

Here are 11 awesome flicks to watch next time you have trouble deciding:

1. "Ex Machina"

Domhnall Gleeson stars alongside Alicia Vikander in this Sci-Fi/Thriller film. It's about Gleeson's character, Caleb Smith, who is instructed to determine whether Ava (Vikander), the humanoid robot, is actually capable of true thought and consciousness. A romance develops between Ava and Caleb, and they form a plan to try and free her from the lab and her creator.

2. "Heathers"

One of the most iconic cult films of all time, Winona Ryder plays Veronica, one of four girls in her Ohio high school's popular girl clique. The film gets its name since the three other girls are all named Heather: Heather Chandler, Heather Duke, and Heather McNamara. Despite their extreme popularity, they are hated and feared by the rest of the student body, which is how they retain their prestige. When J.D. (Christian Slater) starts at their school, he and Veronica develop a special bond, and he tries to help her take the Heathers down a few pegs...by trying to kill them and anyone else who gets in their way.

3. "The Waterboy"

On a more positive note, "The Waterboy" is a comedy starring Adam Sandler, who is a waterboy for college football teams down south in Louisiana. When Bobby Boucher (Sandler), is fired from his position with the Cougars, he goes to work for the Mud Dogs, a team who has a 40 game losing streak. Bobby's talent for football is uncovered, and the film follows him as he tries to play successfully while keeping it a secret from his disapproving mother (Kathy Bates).

4. "1922"

Based on the Stephen King novel, the film on Netflix is a recent adaptation, done in 2017. It follows a farm family from Nebraska where father Wilf, short for Wilfred, murders his wife Arlette and dumps her body into a well after she voices that she wishes to sell their farmland and move to Omaha. He does so by enlisting the help of their son, Henry, but when Wilf starts to see apparitions of his dead wife, things move swiftly into a downward spiral.

5. "The Sixth Sense"

This film helped to put director M. Night Shyamalan on the map, particularly for his surprise ending (which I won't reveal, so don't worry, no spoilers here!). Bruce Willis plays the child psychologist Malcolm Crowe, who is helping young Cole Sear, played by Haley Joel Osment, a young boy with the ability to see and speak to the dead.

6. "Blue Valentine"

Ryan Gosling fans, where you at? The Canadian film sweetheart stars in this romantic tragedy opposite Michelle Williams, where they play a couple whose marriage is falling apart, while, in flashbacks, also portray the pair years before when they were dating. Michelle Williams plays Cindy, who is a pre-med student, and Gosling plays Dean Cianfrance, a high school dropout. This film also earned both Gosling and Williams nominations for Golden Globes!

7. "Boyhood"

If you haven't heard of "Boyhood," let me break it down for you. This modern coming-of-age film gained tons of notoriety leading up to the 87th Academy Awards since the film took 12 years to create! The reason for this is that the director, Richard Linklater, chose to use the same actors all the way through, so the viewers would actually see the young boy growing up. For any film junkies out there, this is one of the best examples of modern neorealist film, and another current example of this style is Alfonso Cuarón's film, "Roma."

8. "Dr. Zhivago"

One of the most unique things about this film is its length! Clocking in at 200 minutes (3 hours & 20 minutes), this film takes place starting pre-WWI and follows all the way through the Russian Civil War. Omar Sharif stars as the title role, Yuri Zhivago, opposite Julie Christie, his love interest, a married woman named Lara Antipova. The movie details the way Zhivago's life is changed through this time with the wars. It is a beautiful and bittersweet love story that shows how much war changes the lives of everyone in its wake. This is also the film adaptation of the book "Doctor Zhivago" by Russian novelist and poet, Boris Pasternak.

9. "Good Will Hunting"

Considered a classic by many, "Good Will Hunting" is well-known for its all-star cast, which includes Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, and Robin Williams. It tells the story of Will Hunting, a hidden genius who works as a janitor. His brilliant mind is discovered after he is forced to see a therapist as part of a deferred prosecution agreement. The therapist Lambeau (Williams), is also a math professor at MIT, where Hunting is a janitor, and he is the one who realizes Hunting's capabilities.

10. "Mona Lisa Smile"

"Mona Lisa Smile" takes place in the early 1950s, at Wellesley College in Massachusetts, where we follow the new professor of art history, Ms. Katherine Watson, played by Julia Roberts. Her students are snobbish girls who try and test her, being a new professor, and though reluctant at first, Watson proves up to the challenge. We also watch the lives of Betty Warren, Connie Baker, and Joan Brandwyn as they struggle with their identities as young women who were raised to be nothing more than a housewife and mother.

11. "The Graduate"

Ever hear an older woman referred to as a "Mrs. Robinson"? Well, this is the movie where that hails from, as well as the son by Simon & Garfunkel. Dustin Hoffman plays new college graduate, Benjamin Braddock, who is seduced by his parent's friend, the married Mrs. Robinson, but who ends up falling in love with her daughter Elaine, who is Benjamin's age. It also earned Mike Nichols the Academy Award for Best Director in 1967!