11 Life Lessons I Learned From Supernatural

It's about more than just saving people and hunting things.

954

Since my suite mate introduced me to the glorious show "Supernatural" last year I have been physically incapable of stopping myself from watching it. It's not just the hunting of scary monsters, weird violence, or the comedy that draws me in. "Supernatural" has actually taught me some pretty meaningful life lessons that I continue to use regularly.

1. Never, ever lie to your family. Just don't do it.

Regardless of what your intention was by keeping the truth from your loved ones, the truth always comes out one way or another so it's safer for them to hear it from you. I'm sure your secret isn't that you just returned from Satan's cage from Hell without a soul or that you've been out for a year, so I think they will be able to handle your truth.

2. Complaining about your situation won't fix it.

Sometimes we all have unbearable, difficult situations but constantly complaining about our feelings and our situations won't make the problem go away. The only way to fix our problems is to actually take action and try to fix it.

3. Your life is worth something. Every life is priceless.

Sam and Dean are constantly risking their lives for defenseless people who sometimes don't want to be saved or sometimes Sam and Dean don't want to save but that doesn't stop them. They know how priceless human life is.

4. Losing someone you care about stays with you forever.

Losing someone you care about is guaranteed in life but that fact doesn't make it any easier. Sam and Dean are constantly losing the people that they love because of their line of work and they truly show how losing people really stays with you forever. Often times their dealing with their problems by drowning in alcoholism and covering it up with work but other times they rely on each other to vent and cope with their issues.

5. Asking for help is okay!

Asking for help is really really hard, especially when your pride gets in the way and you don't want to ask for help. Sometimes, you have to put your pride away and ask for help anyway because there's an apocalypse coming and you have to stop it before millions of people die.

6. We have to respect that people have different religions and different gods.

While watching "Supernatural" we come across many different gods and people with different beliefs. Those gods aren't the main focus of the show but they are acknowledged and treated with the same fear and respect. This is important to understand in real life because we have to respect each other's beliefs and have tolerance.

7. What other's think of you is not as important as what you think of yourself.

The only opinion that matters is the one of yourself because there's a lot of haters out there. All they want to do is bring you down when you know you're on the right path.

8. You have to tell people how you're really feeling.

Understanding people's feelings are hard so you can't expect people to know how you're always feeling. Verbalizing your feelings are the only way that people will be able to understand you.

9. It's okay to not understand what's going on. Or to not know what you're doing. Or to be completely clueless.

Not knowing what's going on is completely okay, it's all a part of the giant category of life called adulting. The best way to get information and to understand what's going on is by asking questions and by having patience.

10. You have to know who your real friends are.

Not everyone is going to be your best friend. Some of them might pretend to be your friend in order to open the door for Satan but some people will stick by your side and be a true friend to you. It's okay to leave some people behind for the people who are always putting in effort to be your friend.

11. Family doesn't end with blood.

Some people will care for you more than your actual family and they're really important to have in your lives because they care about you. Sam and Dean would never have been able to do half the things that they do on a regular basis if it weren't for Bobby.