11 GIFS Show How To Get Through Finals Week

What better way is there to learn than through GIFs?

54

You may be thinking, "An article about finals? When Thanksgiving hasn't even really happened yet?" Yes! An article about finals! When Thanksgiving hasn't even really happened yet! Why? Because finals are exhausting, mentally draining, and leave most college students physically worn out.

If you know about burnout, this is when it can rear its ugly head. If you don't know about burnout, just think of it as the mental version of the flu. You don't want it.

That explains the 'why' of the article, but it doesn't answer the 'why so early?' That is simply because it takes a bit of time for someone to know what kind of self-care best works for them.

This list is not exhaustive, nor can I guarantee any of these to work. This list is simply common stuff that helps people relieve stress, while also taking care of their mental and/or physical well-being.

With all that said, here is the list of things you can do to prepare yourself for finals week:

1. Drink something warm

If you can take the lack of caffeine, have a hot chocolate. It's good for the exhausted college soul. (If you need the caffeine, just make sure it isn't too late in the day. Sleep is important!)

2. Take a bath

Unless you don't like soaking in hot water and feeling all of your stress melt away with a nice bath bomb or bubbles (or nothing if you like your water plain), take the time to soak and relax. (Bonus points if you sip your warm beverage of choice while you soak).

If you're more of a shower person, take the time to have a long shower instead. Hygiene is important, and so is feeling good.

3. Do a chore that you really, really need to do

Like that laundry you've been ignoring for two weeks or your fridge because it's starting to smell a little funky. Maybe that pile of dishes in the sink or the trash piled two feet over the top of the trash can. It's still productivity even if it's not studying!

4. Enjoy a snack

Have some baby carrots! Listen to them crunch away the worries of finals weeks. Snacks are a great way to keep something in your stomach and reward yourself through the grueling process of studying (or final projects).

5. Eat an actual meal

If you're super hungry or haven't eaten all day, cook something! It doesn't have to be anything elaborate, like a five-star filet mignon (unless that's what you want to do), but cooking is rewarding in that it's generally minimal effort and gives a pretty immediate reward.

6. Watch a short video

Whether you watch cat videos, cows in a field, or penguins all hopping together in a pack, take the time to watch something you enjoy. Even if it's just five minutes to watch ferrets play in a ball pit or a dog slow-mo missing a frisbee, let yourself indulge in something cute or amusing.

7. Socialize with someone close

Yell over at your roommate and have a conversation with them. Text your best friend that's a state away. Make some time to check up on someone you care about. And while you're at it, they may let you rant a bit! It doesn't have to be about finals or the chores you have yet to do.

You can rant about how your pet turtle refuses to eat that nice organic lettuce you bought her or how your hamster would prefer to run in circles than use that nice wheel you bought him.

8. Cuddle a cute animal

After ranting about things, calm down with a cute animal. If you don't own a pet you can love on, message a friend and see if they'll let you pet theirs (they should). Animals are cute and cuddly and the best for when you're stressed.

9. See the sun

Take that animal you just cuddled and see if they want outside. Don't actually do this unless it's your dog (or your non-dog pet that likes to go outside). I don't recommend stealing someone's animal so you can walk them. Also, simply walking yourself around the apartment complex or dorm building is fine. You can also walk a friend.

10. Take a nap

Naps and I don't get along, but if you and naps get along, take one. Finished that long research paper for that one class at ten in the morning after an all-nighter? Take a nap!

11. Do a hobby

Want to paint but haven't had the time? Now's your chance! Take time to relax your brain and give yourself a reward for all that tough stuff you've been doing.