11 Election Result Thoughts As Told By Broadway Shows
Politics

Broadway quotes that describe the results of the 2016 Presidential Election

9
Pinal Partnership

The results of the Presidential Election was hard on a lot of people. Many people were left wondering how this could possibly happen. How the world could be so for a candidate who is so against many people. This left many women, gays, people of different races and many others, fearing for their lives and the future of this country. Below is a collection of quotes from Broadway shows that came across my mind when I couldn't put my feelings into words about how I felt the morning after the election.

1. "Yeah you're f****d alright" -Spring Awakening

My thoughts as I was watching the live poll results update.

2. "Raise a glass to freedom, something they can never take away no matter what they tell you" -Hamilton

I know this is a hard one to believe, but it's true. So many people have fought so hard to give us the freedom we have today and there is nothing that can take that away.

3. "Something tells me it'll be alright. Something tells me it's gonna be okay. The sun's gonna shine again" -Bright Star

Although things are going to be tough, I just know that it is going to be okay. We can all get through this together. There are so many people spreading love and support for each other right now. Things are going to be okay, it will get brighter.

4. "We'll find the will to find our way" -Next to Normal

We will find our way. We fight together.

5. "Will I wake tomorrow from this nightmare?" -RENT

I've seen this line posted all over the place in the past few days from theater nerds. This is a frightening time for many people. They wish they would wake up to find this to be just a nightmare but sadly it's reality.

6. "Are people born wicked or do they have wickedness thrust upon them?" -Wicked

Self explanatory thought that I also saw tweeted a lot during election night. Just a thought.

7. "I've got to be stronger, reach up higher" -Finding Neverland

Another self explanatory quote. We need to reach above this and be strong. A little strength can go a long way.

8. "Courage is when we face our fear" -Newsies

Even though our lives are filled with fear, we have to have the courage to face our fears together. No matter what Trump tries to change and control, we will have the courage to face it together.

9. "What the f***?" -If/Then

Need I say more?

10. "Careful the things you do.Children will see and learn" -Into The Woods

This quote specifically stuck with me. This generation will grow up in the next four years with Trump as President. They will be watching him and everything he does. This is how the younger generation will learn. While that is a crazy to think about, it is true.

11. "This is what an American looks like" -On Your Feet!

In my opinion, this was the most powerful Broadway quote that really took on extra meaning after the election. There was talk about how much the audience reacted to this line last Wednesday. In the show, this line is said by Emilio (Estefan) when he explains all that his family went through from leaving Cuba to come to the United States and build a new life. This line is said by a Latino character which is why it took on such a powerful meaning during the time of the election.