11 Beautiful Deep-Space Nebulas To Make You Feel Insignificant

The universe doesn't care about you.

379
National Geographic

Space is gorgeous. Space is also big. Space is also the epitome of the human race's fruitless attempts to understand the vast astronomical phenomena in lifetimes that last a fraction of a second on the galactic timeline. Here is a tiny number of the infinite stellar combinations to which we have given the name "the universe."

1. Crab Nebula

This is the perfect cosmic phenomenon to help you admit to yourself, "I don't matter in the grand scheme of things."

2. Horsehead Nebula

This nebula has been around for thousands of years before you were born and will continue to exist for another five million after your death.

3. Tarantula Nebula

Here's an astrological object with hundreds of years of study behind it. The Tarantula Nebula is not aware of any of those years, because multiple lifetimes to us is nothing at all to a distant galaxy.

4. North America Nebula

Astronomers try to find patterns that look like familiar objects and concepts, and hope that by giving names to these arbitrary delineations of star clusters, they can become knowable.

5. Helix Nebula

The appearance of a human eye is a comfort to some, as if a mutual understanding could be reached between humans and the vast unending cosmos. There is no harm in pretending; there is no value, either.

6. Eagle Nebula

There is no better reinforcement that the universe doesn't care about you than the Eagle Nebula.

7. Heart Nebula

This cloud of plasma is the ideal messenger for the idea that justice doesn't exist, nor does truth or absolute morality. Everything is subjective and viewed through the relative lens of human interaction; these concepts don't exist outside of the constructs on which we, a short-lived series of similar molecule configurations, have founded a egoistic microcosmic ecosystem.

8. Elephant's Trunk Nebula

Decisions you make may have a huge impact on the quality of your life, but to the Elephant's Trunk nebula, the outcome of your choices couldn't possibly make less of a difference.

9. Veil Nebula

This long cascade of oxygen, sulfur and hydrogen is composed of elements that we know, that we engage with every day, yet they conglomerate to form a mysterious waterfall of newly-born stars and dying supernovae, light years away. If even this incredibly vast and beautiful array of stellar objects returns to the dust from whence it came, then surely you and your accomplishments will do the same.

10. Flame Nebula

This gorgeous celestial object is the perfect way to remind yourself that you are a collection of atoms, temporarily assembled in a self-aware bouquet in a futile attempt to resist entropy. None of these atoms have ever been alive, but they are all you.

11. Rosette Nebula

Try looking at this nebula and saying "I have consequence in this world" with a straight face. It's not easy, but it sure is necessary to the perpetuation of human life!