11 Books To Read This Summer

11 Books To Read This Summer

It's the perfect time to lay out on a beach towel and escape from reality.

20
11 Books To Read This Summer
pexels.com

To most that know me, I’m a huge bookworm: I mean like legit bookworm. I will sit at my deck in my chair, bury my head in a book and read all day long. That’s what I look forward to the most during the summer: just sitting and reading a good book that’ll take me away from reality. Fortunately for myself, and maybe everyone else, I've compiled a list of 11 books that are awesome summer reads (or whatever season you prefer). And yes, I’ve read most of these books and I’m willing to share.

11. "Me Before You" by Jojo Moyes

Okay, in my defense, I'm about 120 pages into the book and I absolutely cannot put it down for the life of me (I should be further into the book but work and life has gotten in the way). Louisa and Will obviously have chemistry throughout the book, but more importantly, it teaches you about compassion and about two people who have nothing in common and end up falling in love. So far, this book is pretty good. It has its mix of funny and sarcasm and for me, my heart breaks for Will, but then again, I'm not even finished reading it yet. And yeah, I haven't seen the movie yet and refuse to see it before I finish the book.

10) "Confessions of a Shopaholic" by Sophia Kinsella

I started reading these Shopaholic books back when I was in High School --11th grade to be exact. I remember visiting the library and just walking up and down the rows and rows of books, finding something to caught my eye. That's when I saw the pink spine of this book and I had to see it. Now, judge me if you see fit, but I don't judge a book by its cover -- I judge it by the color of the cover. Next thing I know, I'm quickly walking to the checkout counter, slamming this book on the counter and handing over my ID card. All I remember is keeping this book out for over two weeks because I kept reading it. I've read it about three times to be exact. Yeah, I enjoyed it that much. In this book, we meet Becky Bloomwood who is a serious shopaholic, so much so that she's getting letters from the bank with sums of money that she cant even imagine. She writes for "Successful Saving" magazine and writes about how others should be saving their money, yet she can't even heed her own advice. She finally gets a writing assignment that she cares about and then the whole series of events that follow, change her life and the life of those around her.

9) "Crossfire" Trilogy by Sylvia Day

Now, these books are a bit of a tricky trilogy to write about, only because they fall in the catagory of "Fifty Shades of Grey" and there are plenty of people who don't agree or like "Fifty", but this is my list, so deal with it. As I said, yes these are along the lines of the "Fifty Shades" trilogy, and a lotmore graphic, therefore I won't really go into too much detail. The fifth and final book came out this past April, entitled, "One With You". In these books, you meet Ava Tramell, new to New York City and just scored a job Waters Field & Leaman, which just so happens to be in the Crossfire Building, where she runs into Gideon Cross, who without a doubt, will turn her entire world upside down.

8) "Catcher In The Rye" by J.D. Salinger

"Catcher In The Rye" is one of those books that can change your life. My English teacher in 11th grade made us read this book as part of the class and while everyone else moaned and groaned about how they didn't want to read it, I blasted through the book within days and actually read it twice. This is a coming-of-age story narrated in the 1950s by Holden Caulfield. The way that the story is narrated, you don't know the location that Holden is in, but it seems to be a medicinal type of setting, given that he also states that he's going through treatment in a mental facility. Holden attends Pency Prep in Pennsylvania and after being notified that he is being expelled after failing four out of five classes, he hops on a train to Manhattan where he meets a former teacher, but soon after becomes ticked off that he's being reprimanded. Trust me, it gets better from there but I'm not all up for making you stay up all evening reading this. So, just pick up the book for yourself and read it.

7) Sweet Addiction series by J. Daniels

Sooner or later in this list, I was going to talk about J. Daniels. This has nothing to do with the fact that I follow her on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, have read all her books in this series and the "Alabama Summer" series or the fact that I love to ship Dylan and Reese. Nope -- has nothing to do with any of that. I mean, who doesn't love a good book that has sex and cupcakes and a hot guy named Reese and a gay best friend named Joey. I mean seriously. I don't even want to write a blurb about the book only because I don't want to sound like a total idiot trying to give a short summary about the book. Like, I feel it's just that good that a short summary cannot do the book justice.

6) "Alabama Summer" series by J. Daniels

Just, see number seven above. Oh and a little FYI, the good thing about the "Alabama Summer" books, is that they can all be read as standalone novels.

5) "The Pact" by Karina Halle

Karina Halle has written many many books including "Sins and Needles", as well as "Shooting Scars", but "The Pact" happens to be a favorite of mine and one of which I'm so proud to display on my list, but what happens when two best friends make a pact in their 20s, to marry each other if they're not with anyone else in their 30s. Hearts are laid on the line and friendships are tested. I guess you're just going to have to read the book to really find out.

4) "Where Sea Meets Sky" by Karina Halle

Though this book isn't tied into two of Karina's previous books "Love, In English" and "Love, In Spanish", it follows the same theme. Josh (brother of Vera from "Love, In English") is Canadian. Gemma is from New Zealand. Both meet at a party, hook up and then Gemma ends up having to leave to go back to New Zealand. Josh is so taken by Gemma, that he decides to hop on a plane and travel to New Zealand with just a backpack, some money and only Gemma's first name to go by. When he finally finds Gemma, his adventure starts with Gemma not only showing him the beautiful scenery of New Zealand, but also opening his life up to love, sex and the true meaning of heartbreak. This was a novel that not only could I not put it down, but I've read it multiple times and it still moves me. It's just that book that hits you right in the feels.

3) "Racing The Sun" by Karina Halle

Yes, again, another Karina Halle book. Are you starting to see a pattern yet? This book follows 24 year-old Amber MacLean (you'll meet her in "Where Sea Meets Sky") where she goes on her own adventure backpacking from New Zealand, through Australia and Southeast Asia and finds her way to Italy. With no money in her pocket or any to her name, she has to find work in order to buy her plane ticket back to the States. The only job she manages to snag is teach English to two Italian brats -- I mean, children of a former famous Italian motorcycle racer. Again, just read the book. I've said enough

2) "Love, In Spanish" by Karina Halle

Meet Mateo. Okay, I've said plenty. Okay okay fine, this book is not a standalone and there for should be read after reading "Love, In English". This tells the love (if you want to call it that) story of Vera and Mateo through Mateo's eyes. Trust me, you're going to want to have tissues handy and possibly a passport and plane ticket to Madrid, Spain.

1) "Love, In English" by Karina Halle

This is starting to look a lot like a Karina Halle appreciation post. Well, in a way it is but she is one of the most fantastic writers that I've been exposed to (thanks to my friend Jodi Maliszewski) and this book just showcases her ability to suck a reader in. I read "Love, In English" and "Love, In Spanish" at the absolute worst time of my life. Yes, you read that right. My boyfriend (who I loved very dearly) had just broken up with me after almost three years together and the heartbreak was very real and very painful. I withdrew from basically almost everything and just couldn't really be bothered too much. So, I buried my head in books, and this was one of them. I became emotionally invested in Vera, who up and leaves her home in Canada to travel to Madrid, Spain to teach conversational English to businessmen and women, at what is almost like an adult camp. And that's where she meets Mateo -- the man of every woman's dreams. Perfectly tan, rich, cocky, fluent in Spanish and (not so) fluent in broken English. Mateo is 38, a business man and married with a 5 year-old daughter and Vera can barely commit to having lunch. The making of this equation is a huge no bueno, but meeting Mateo makes Vera feel alive and has her feeling some sort of way. This book is the definition of an emotional roller coaster and one book that I don't revisit too often, but it's worth it. You're going to want to dream like Vera and spontaneously want to book a one way flight to Madrid to find your own Mateo. I never fully healed from the breakup, but eventually, I'll be Vera and I'll be chasing my dreams and hopefully end up in Spain and maybe, just maybe, I'll find my love in English and in Spanish.