10 Words To Stop Using So You Sound Smarter

If you quit using these words, you'll be a better person.

663
Emoji Island

In a world where we have 140 or less characters to get our point across, we use words that we probably shouldn't, effectively wasting those oh-so-precious characters. The words you use say a lot more about you than you think they do. Based on the way you speak people make assumptions about you, whether correct or not. They assume what your values may be, your level of education, and who you are, and it is perfectly fair for them to because that is the image you're presenting.

If you don't want people to think Barney the Dinosaur is smarter than you are, then here are some words you should probably stop using.

1. Irregardless

Guys, irregardless of what you think, irregardless isn't a word. Lots of people think it is, though, and that just makes me sad. It's just regardless, y'all. All these poor, innocent people think I'm shaking my head because I've just been defeated by their amazing point, but really I'm shaking my head at the shame you've just brought to yourself and every teacher you ever had. Where did Mrs. Smith go wrong?

2. Literally

Literally means that things are exact. It's not a word that helps you make an exaggeration. It literally has its own meaning. If you say something is literally happening, then it's actually happening. "It is literally raining cats and dogs outside." Well, somebody should call animal control, not grab an umbrella. "I'm literally so exhausted." Are you still moving? Yeah? Then you aren't exhausted. Get your lazy self up and do what you need to.

3. Honestly

When you put honestly before your opinion or really anything else, you're implying that everything else you've said is a lie. Honestly, that's probably going to get you into some hot water at some point. "Honestly, I love ugly Christmas sweater." "Oh, so you were lying when you said these pants didn't make me look fat? Thanks, Phil." If Phil didn't have the vocabulary of a Teletubby, he wouldn't be in this rather unfortunate situation.

4. Basically

Basically, this is a filler word that we use in English to take up time as we're talking. But, it's annoying because you're making the person you're talking to feel dumb. By putting basically in front of your sentence, you're implying that they aren't smart enough to understand what you're trying to tell them, so you're going to dumb it down for them. How nice of you.

5. Like

I don't like know how like some like people can like use like the word 'like' like so many like times in like a sentence. See how annoying that is?!?! You aren't saying anything. STOP IT! You sound like some little middle school girl named Buffy who can't get her like life together.

6. That

Ok, so this one you don't need to cut out completely in every situation. We do need to think about it, though. Quick! Grab a pencil and write a sentence using the word 'that.' Now erase 'that.' Read it again. The sentence probably still makes sense. Not always, but a lot of the time. The one time it's never alright to use 'that' is when referring to people. "My friends are the ones that..." That should be the word 'who.' People are who's, otherwise you're referring to them as an inanimate object and most people don't really love that, for some reason.

7. Say

Don't forever kill this one either. I'm talking about when people, parents especially, start talking to a baby by saying, "Say hi." "Say I'm a Momma's girl." "Say thank you." Guess what? Just because you tell a baby what to say, doesn't mean they're suddenly going to gain the ability to talk. They're probably just going to give you the same unintelligent look I am, because we both think you've lost your mind.

8. I Could Care Less

I know this one is a phrase and not a word, but we really need to talk about this one. Let's think about what we're saying here. If you say that you could care less, you care at least a little bit, which is probably the opposite of what you meant. The correct phrase you're looking for here is "I couldn't care less." So, unfortunately this poor girl above thinks that her friend doesn't care about her and Shane, but really he does. How romantic. They should be in a Nicholas Sparks book that will certainly become a movie eventually. *insert eye roll here*

9. Curse Words

This one's a group and I hate each and every one of them. Because here's the deal, when you start swearing, you sound like you're too big of an idiot to think of a better word to say when you stub your toe. I'm sure some of you are thinking "Ugh, it's just a word. Who decides if it's bad or not." But you have to think of the connotation of the word. Things have their actual, literal meaning, but then there are also implied meanings. Also, some people *cough, me, cough* find them offensive. So, better be safe than sorry because here is where people will make the quickest judgment about your lack of intelligence.

10. Always/Never

BONUS: You got two words! Both of these give off certainty and imply that there are no exceptions to the rule. Ever. If you say you always order the grilled cheese sandwich, but once upon a time you ordered the PB&J, you've just made a liar of yourself. The same goes if you never listen to Queen Bey, but "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" used to be your jam.

CONGRATULATIONS! You're now a smarter individual. Now, go out and take on the world with your new, better vocabulary, Sasha Fierce!