10 Ways To Show School Spirit That Aren't Football-Related

Told with the help of the always-relevant "High School Musical."

4409
Disney

Friend: “Wait so [name of college] doesn’t have a football team? That sucks. There’s not going to be much spirit.

You: “...”

"Friday Night Lights" is not the end-all be-all of school pride and activity at college, or even high school. If spirit isn’t as big as it could be and should be at your school, you can be a part of making your school a place to be proud of. Here are eight ways to show school spirit that aren’t football-related.

1. Wear your school colors

This is perhaps the most obvious of all tips. Nothing shows school spirit more than wearing school clothing and physically showing school spirit. The more, the better, but you don’t necessarily have to turn into a billboard for your school.

2. Watch school performing arts showcases

Slam poetry, theatre productions, and a cappella performances are not only amazing sources of entertainment and skills, they are also great ways to show support. Every voice counts!

3. Go to club-sponsored events

Clubs want you to come to their events. In one day, I went to the mid-autumn festival for Brandeis Chinese Cultural Connection (BC3) and the Ebony Access Launch Party, a celebration for a new literary magazine that featured multiple clubs on Brandeis campus. You might just get free food, learn about different cultures, or learn a new activity. Even if you don't dance, we know you can.

4. Cheer on competitive teams

The fencing, chess, soccer, volleyball, golf, and scholastic decathlon would love to see you at their competitions! Just obey the spectator etiquette--golf clap, anyone?

5. Get involved on campus

You should, without a doubt, be doing this anyway. College is full of opportunities that you can use to grow, gain experience, meet people, and have fun. School pride starts with school involvement.

6. Take advantage of the free stuff

Do I even need to tell you to do this?

7. Volunteer

Represent your school in your community while making other people’s lives better, and your life better. Everyone is happy, and everybody wins. We're all in this together.

8. Choose the right attitude

School spirit does not just automatically happen; it is an attitude and a decision that starts with you. Be receptive, and hopefully your school experience will be a blast!